Anyone lock their taps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi all
I found an old thread discussing this here- http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/21296-lock-the-taps/ but it was back in 2008 so I thought I'd ask around to see if there's anything new around or new ideas? My kids are fine, they'd never play with my taps, it's when other kids come over that I have problems.

I've found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chillpassion-Inc-Beer-Faucet-Lock-Wrap-Around-Draft-Beer-Lock-/152281450544?hash=item2374ae8830:g:pX8AAOSw-K9ZIAB8 but they're $80 each from the US. Surely someone local sells them? Couldn't find them on craftbrewer.

Any clever ideas? I might try and find a generic padlock that will fit but not sure if I'll have any luck there. Like this...

post-2562-1208078791_thumb.jpg

I don't lock mine, but I remember seeing these a little while ago.

They look similar to the one you saw on ebay. Once you factor in postage, they're probably about the same price.

What about a piece of tubing that slides over the handle and outlet with a cut out on the back of the tube so it slides over the outlet and a hole drilled through the tubing in behind the outlet and attach a padlock through the drilled holes .You could use some PVC tubing .

I have snaplock taps, so if I have someone coming round that I don't trust with the taps... I remove them.
I also remove them between sessions in summer and store in the fridge so the first pour isn't all foam.

I like your idea beer belly. Took me a few reads to follow what you were saying, but it sounds like it'd work.

I don't want to disconnect and reconnect my kegs because the next pour is foamy, but that's definitely a simple solution too if i can get over that. Electrifying the tap might be fun :)

Might look into snap lock taps too, hadn't heard of them, but I guess that's going to cost more than tap locks anyway.
Thanks all for the suggestions!

kierent said:
I like your idea beer belly. Took me a few reads to follow what you were saying, but it sounds like it'd work.

I don't want to disconnect and reconnect my kegs because the next pour is foamy, but that's definitely a simple solution too if i can get over that. Electrifying the tap might be fun :)

Might look into snap lock taps too, hadn't heard of them, but I guess that's going to cost more than tap locks anyway.
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Yeah if I could draw it would paint a thousand words

On the first collar I built, I had two rod holders screwed into it then ran a length of aluminium tubing through them to sit right in front of the taps about half way up. Drilled holes in either end of the rod for padlocks. I added it as I kept knocking the taps as it was a tight fit getting past. Cheap as chips and worked fine.

Of course they could always unscrew the rod holders if they were that keen to get at your brew, although superglue in the screw head would probably sort that out.

Unscrew the black handle part from the tap? would make pouring significantly more difficult without the leverage of the handle. Also provides a visual cue that something's not right-don't touch.
I tend to take Batz'z approach with these matters though.
Cheers,

If you have a keezer you could screw in an eye bolt behind each tap handle then simply lock with an appropriate sized pad lock. I've done this on my keezer and it works well. Don't really lock the taps anymore though as the kids know not to touch them.

I'm slowly migrating to snaplocks because my son one day will become a teen ager, remove tap and lock inside keezer.

Job done

Oh god. We're integrating a three tap font into our new kitchen. Didn't think of this as a long term! :p

Having a beer at 2 am because you can not sleep or with breakfast could have its downside.

I think i like the idea of snap locks in the long term. Probably a bit of money involved in getting all the adaptors and new taps but over time I can add bits and pieces to my grain orders maybe :)

Back