Anyone Know Anything About Mead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morry

Reaction score
Guys,
Just wondering if anyone here has ever brewed, or even tasted a mead. I know they used to drink a lot of it in britain a few years back. And being fermented honey, it sounds ok, but in all the bottle shops I have ever been to, I have never seen a mead for sale. Just wondering what the go is here.
Sean

from what i tried as a "learning" judge on the weekend, i wouldn't brew it myself, high alc... very high alc, high in honey flavoour and aroma, a very different drink, i wouldn't call it a beer, and doubt you would sit down to drink a pot :)

not for me!

I have tasted and brewed my own mead - everyone who has tasted it likes it..

i made a spiced sweet mead...what do u want to know

I dont think Im too keen on brewing one for while, since I havent even tasted one. Does anyone know any bottle shops around melbourne that would sell mead?

The most popular one that is available everywhere in SA is Maxwells mead.
Maybe someone in Melbourne stocks their range.
It's not a particularly great example of mead but it will do.
Remember it is honey wine. If you don't like honey or wine....
Homebrewed mead can be great. I have won a few medals here and there for my mead. I must do some more again one day.

morry

Buy Maxwells spiced or maxwells liqueur mead.
In th ebarossa there is Chatea Doriien - they make 4 meads - th ebest i sthe Grand Miele - 18.00 per bottle - jaffa flavour/grand marnier.

I have a spare double wine foam postage box.
i could send u a grand miele and stubby of my own home brewed sweet spiced mead for 30.00 inc postage if u want.

Thanks for the offer GMK. Ill have a look around at another bottle shop while Im in the city tomorrow and Ill PM you if Im interested. Cheers.
Sean

No worries - u do know that the freight on the wine box is 12.00 - hence the price of 30.00.

I dont want to get told off by the taxman ......

Bradmcmn knows a lot about meads . . .ask him how to make good ones, not that hard, just need some patience

Back