Anyone Know A Good Recipe For A Regular Aussie Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi all
First let me clarify that I'm well past only wanting to drink VB or New, and for myself I pretty much brew hopped up APA's or stouts or ambers or whatever else takes my fancy. However, I'm finding that while some of my family and friends love the hoppy craft beer thing, others just want to drink New or something bland like that.

I'm thinking that because I have 2 kegs, maybe a good way to go would be this Christmas to have a standard aussie lager (or maybe something similar to super dry) on one keg and something more interesting on the other. So does anyone know of a really good kit or extract recipe that will get these results?

I'm thinking pride of ringwood hops (which I've never used before), dextrose instead of all malt to make it a bit thinner on the mouth. I haven't tried any of the aussie lager kits available, maybe there's a good one out there? I'm asking here before trying myself because I don't want 23 litres of ordinary beer that I have no interest in drinking :)

Thanks all

Your plan looks sound to me. Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager seems to be one of the better regarded kits in this style. I'd go light on the POR - and not for the usual reasons. Not much point making a hoppy beer for the people who don't like hoppy beers, you know. I'd just put a small amount to freshen the kit up a bit. If you have the ability to ferment at lager temps grab yourself a good clean lager yeast and everyone should be happy - if not both US05 and Nottingham have good reputations for making faux-lagers when brewed cool.

I've done an Aussie lager recently that is still conditioning but looking the goods. It's an all malt lager, but I think it's quite comparable to some higher end Aussie lagers out there.

23 L Batch

1.7kg Coopers Heritage Australian Lager
1.5kg Coopers light liquid malt extract

10g Hallertau @ 15 mins
10g Hallertau @ 5 mins

Fermented around 10 degrees for 3 weeks.

Yeast was Saflager S-23.

I've heard PoR is used in most commercial aussie lagers, so maybe if your up for extract brewing or something you could just go,

1.5kg LME light
1kg dextrose

20g PoR @ 60 mins

and leave it at that?

Your plan looks sound to me. Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager seems to be one of the better regarded kits in this style. I'd go light on the POR - and not for the usual reasons. Not much point making a hoppy beer for the people who don't like hoppy beers, you know. I'd just put a small amount to freshen the kit up a bit. If you have the ability to ferment at lager temps grab yourself a good clean lager yeast and everyone should be happy - if not both US05 and Nottingham have good reputations for making faux-lagers when brewed cool.

Back in the kit days I was given one of these by a mate's dad who used to work in a homebrew store and he said it was their best selling kit.
I didn't end up using it as it was past date and I'd moved on to extract brewing but it does seem to be a popular choice.

As for the rest of Bum's advice, definitely.
Keep the ferment cool and the additions light.

That being said there are also a range of other options for light flavoured approachable beers, dial back the hops a little on your favourite APA, Coopers Canadian Blonde with a light flavour hop addition, a good pilsner, and so on.

I'm lucky enough to have an old fridge so I can do a proper lager, so I might give the blue mountains a go. I agree about not adding too much extra hops, I was thinking I'd be using POR if I used only LME rather than starting with a kit. I also found a good looking clone recipe for Corona in the Recipe DB, so maybe that's an option.

I just brewed two lagers over winter using the S-189 lager yeast.

The first was with the Morgans Kit and Saaz hops. It turned out pretty good but more on the way to be a euro lager/premium Oz lager

The second was the Thomas Coopers Heritage Lager with Hallertau hops. Again the results were good but much closer to the standard Aussie lager.

Therefore I would recommend you use the TC Heritage Lager, a lager yeast (or US05 as above), mostly dex but with a bit of malt for body. Steer clear of maltodex as I have a hunch it lead to a bit of residual sweetness. You probably won't need the extra POR with this kit either as you can taste it, even over the top of the hallertau I added.

Below are the links to the reviews of the beers I did

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry678071

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=47032

PS. Obviously don't use the Hallertau either!

Latest posts

Back