Anyone Here Ever Had To Dob In Assholes At Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pk.sax

RIP bum
Reaction score
Hmnnn, the deed is done, but I won't know until later what comes out of it.

Basically, I've been avoiding confrontations with Mr A-hole aero engineer for a year now and now and then it will spill over but we move on. Root of problem - he is both lazy & dumb. (he enquired once where the carburettor in a diesel engine is :S, least of his sins).

His attitude has always caused me grief in the form of extra chasing up of incomplete stuff and picking up support requests that he should raise his hand for but... What eventually got me was a vicious verbal personal attack in the office that pretty much soured Friday arvo. It even came out in the outburst that he is called 'dumb, stupid, lots of other derogatory names' by people all the time. I am suddenly relate to those people.

Anyway, so much for background.
What is your experience with having to put your nuts in the fryer over serious workmate issues?

Beyond what is obvious, I expect that somewhere along the lines HR laws will dictate what happens. How does the system treat such things?

if you work in a government job h.r will interview you and if there was no racist or sexist content in your rant you will be warned and counciled, which is a gloryfied slap on the wrist. however if in private enterprise it depends on the companies policy.

Indian complains about afghan (goat-herder) lol. Joke aside, nothing racist/sexist. I kept my mouth shut 99.99% of it and specifically referred only to his effect on my work and completely avoided referring to my opinion of his work.

It's a private org. Non-listed. I've told the big boss these things in the past without taking names, just asking to be moved out of te department/office. So I do have a history to show of raising the issue politely before. Thanks for the feedback, I read over my email again and definitely have kept very professional.

I work with a ***** at work whom also is/was (dunno anymore) the foreman.

This all started about 3 months ago when i was pulled off a job for taking too long (I had never ever used a boring head on a manual mill before, let alone a manual mill and the job was a shit job) and the foreman was put on it to finish it off, naturally i felt awful.
At smoko that morning we were talking about that job in front of the other 8 workers when he said to me "Do you know why they took you off that job? Because Your Incapable!"....................

And since then it has been war.

I reported that incident to the boss and since then i have reported 3 other incidents between him and myself. (Others have had run-ins with the **** aswell)
I won't go in to detail about what i do at work to piss him off now, but i make sure every day he is there it is hell.

Why is he still there? According to the boss he is an excellent machinist. Dickhead!

No better way to start the day with a good rant to make me pissed off for the morning. <_<

@wallace, mate, completely different scenario, my work, we're paid to be smart and be able to provide support.

I have been kind to this **** before. He was given a job to do that he took 2 weeks and couldn't do it. Eventually, the boss said, let's all go down and help him. I went and looked (systematically) for 20 minutes and finished the job. The boss said maybe I should inform the big boss myself since I found it. I refused and handed it to the **** and let him do it. His acknowledgement in that mail was: "We found it with the help of ...". Nm...

See, there is giving ppl a break and there is taking shit from ppl you actually have tried to help and they come back and stab you in the back.

Seriously, if something like what you describe had happened to me, I'd do the very same. Attitude counts for a lot.

Turn up. Do your work. Collect your money. **** off home.

Turn up. Do your work. Collect your money. **** off home.
Can't disagree strongly enough.

We are at work 8,10 12 hours a day. Can't just grit your teeth and wish to be home for that long.

Either change your work place by sorting out issues... or change your place of work

Life is way to short to be unhappy for a 1/2 of each day at work and then spending the other 1/2 of the day dwelling on it !

Cheers
Chris

and then spending the other 1/2 of the day dwelling on it !
This is the issue and the issue is with you and not your workplace. Everyone else is a cockhead - you cannot change this. Leave it at work.

Regardless of what he has been called the fact of the matter is that he is incompetent at what he does.

And Im assuming your in the aviation industry and that could spell disaster.

Surely if you were to report his poor performance, mistakes hes making, that could cause further problems your company would see this as a serious issue.

We have near miss/hazard reports where I work and I have had to on numerous occasions write up a staff member (Im the branch manager so have a moral obligation to do so) for various issues.

These have to be followed through with senior management involved and can lead to written warnings and then termination of the problem is continued, not rectified etc.

As we say its not dobbing someone in...Its an opportunity for improvement.

I have a guy not performing now and I told him wouldnt he rather I told him about it now and gave him the opportunity to improve, or that he ended up getting the boot later on and didnt see it coming.

Maybe just speak to your boss and tell him that your concerned about his mistakes and the repercussions and you have a moral obligation to report them.

As we say its not dobbing someone in...Its an opportunity for improvement.

What a load of bullshit, this is why Australia as we know it and the Anzac spirit are dying.

If I had an issue with a workmate I'd do my best to resolve it with them face to face so we could get on with things. Involving HR departments and bosses etc is a real last resort (the HR dept at my workplace is renowned for being shithouse at conflict resolution anyway but even if they were great, nothing beats adults talking to each other).

Put a teaspoon of epsom salts in his drink...

he will have the runs all day every 10 mins... :icon_cheers:

Hahahahhaha stu. Another excuse for him to not do his work.

@ Manticle, mate, he's talked to me about other colleagues in the office he has had trouble with and unloaded. In the spirit of being a friend, which is what I first regarded him, I tried to calm him down and conselled him to be a bit more pro-active and build his value. Given that, he is a really bad listener. Talking to him is like talking to a wall, asking him to reason the things he says is like asking the sky why it's not pink. It's all been tried. Company policy (on paper) is, talk to manager, then talk to big boss, then if it doesn't work, request HR. I've tried them all. And all along the way, kept them all in the loop. No jumping over heads, I'm quite patient with somethings... I share that slight disdain for dealing things through HR. but they get paid for this! I have some faith in them. my immediate boss is too much of a nice guy to actually put a dent in the situation. And I told him at MY performance review that has to start looking at distributing work better. In writing.

Like I said, I hate when people backbite, say it to the face. This guy loves backbiting and actually freaks out if you shove it into his face.

Btw, it is indeed a safety concern. The thing I pinged him on on Friday is a CASA mandated review process that we got pulled up for a 'refresher' by the big boss for a month or so ago. This douche still thinks he's totally above that. If he decides to make a scene I'm gonna bury him.

PS: disregarding my occasional mad outbursts on this forum :p, I'm a reasonable and even responsible guy, took me a fair amount of swallowing it to get to this situationi appreciate the cross questioning, probably will face it in real soon enough.