Anyone got a copy of Smurto's Golden Ale (AG) handy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottc1178

Reaction score
Hi!!

I'm putting on a couple of brews for a mates bucks party this morning and seeing as the recipe DB is down, I can't find a copy of it anywhere (except and american interpretation on google which i'm unsure of)

does someone have a copy that they could paste into this thread or a PM?

greatly appreciated.

cheers.

cheers

this is the US one i found and have converted back to metric:

3kg

Pilsner (2
Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)

1kg

Munich Malt
(9.0 SRM)

1kg

Wheat Malt,
Ger (2.0 SRM)

300g

Caramunich
Malt (56.0 SRM)

20g

Amarillo
Gold [8.5%] - Boil 60 min

25g

Amarillo
Gold [8.5%] - Boil 20 min

Whirlfloc
Tablet (Boil 15 min)

25g oz

Amarillo
Gold [8.5%] - Boil 0 min

1 pkgs

Safale
American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

this is what I'll use, and in the absence of amarilo, will be using B-saaz and a small amount of simcoe at 60min for bittering.

any thoughts / warnings / laughter??

cheers

wow... copying and pasting a table into a post doesn't work very well... :eek: ... my bad...

It's on beersmith 2 as a sample recipie. Do a free trial

Beersmith and pdf recipe files are in my signature.

Just kegging one today, the latest version in that link that Warra posted (rye victoria version).

So the famous DSGA has now evolved into what is essentially a completely different beer? :p Don't think I've even heard of Victoria hops before.

I always thought it was a clone of JSGA...

anyone done a no-chill version that worked out well?? and care to share Hop Additions, times and any other adjustments

I've tasted many very good no chill versions, none of which required any hop adjustments. Just brew it as is.

Victoria hops are not available to purchase as far as I can tell, you have to grow them yourselves. I don't understand why it isn't sold commercially, it's an amazing hop.

@Nick - it started out life as a JSGA clone of sorts but as with most recipes, it evolved over time. The versions i brew today should arguably be given new names and new entries in the recipeDB but the philosophy is the same. I still brew the original AG batch every year for the annual boys camping trip as they prefer it over the rye victoria version but i suspect that is more tradition associated with the camping than the actual recipe.

m3taL said:
anyone done a no-chill version that worked out well?? and care to share Hop Additions, times and any other adjustments

smurtos big batch no chil1 (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol (ABV): 5.07 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 32.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

57% Pilsner
19% Munich I
10% Wheat Malt
9% Rye Malt
5% Caramalt

0.5 g/L Northern Brewer (15% Alpha) @ 50 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Cascade (5.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Cascade (5.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.4 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1 g/L Cascade (5.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
1 g/L Centennial (8.3% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate[

DrSmurto said:
Beersmith and pdf recipe files are in my signature.

Just kegging one today, the latest version in that link that Warra posted (rye victoria version).
thanks heaps guys, have followed the beersmith recipe, and am currently sparging, It's by far my best and clearest AG so far. I have a beer stiffy.
just wish i could have gotten my hands on amarillo... have had to use B-Saaz as a substitute (on my LHBS recommendation)... as there is no Amarillo to be found...
but the way this beer looks and smells right now, I'm sure my mate (the buck) is going to be stoked!

thanks to all!!

Scott

oh,

one final question, noticed the recipe says to use 1/4 of a whirlfloc tablet (as opposed to a whole one). is that right? or is that something that got lost in the translation between metric and imperial and metric again?

cheers

scottc1178 said:
thanks heaps guys, have followed the beersmith recipe, and am currently sparging, It's by far my best and clearest AG so far. I have a beer stiffy.
just wish i could have gotten my hands on amarillo... have had to use B-Saaz as a substitute (on my LHBS recommendation)... as there is no Amarillo to be found...
but the way this beer looks and smells right now, I'm sure my mate (the buck) is going to be stoked!

thanks to all!!

Scott
Craftbrewer have 2012 Amarillo. And 2012 Citra. DSGA with Citra is the best beer ... in the world

Nick JD said:
Craftbrewer have 2012 Amarillo. And 2012 Citra. DSGA with Citra is the best beer ... in the world
duly noted!

cheers

scottc1178 said:
oh,

one final question, noticed the recipe says to use 1/4 of a whirlfloc tablet (as opposed to a whole one). is that right? or is that something that got lost in the translation between metric and imperial and metric again?

cheers
I normally use 1/2 tablet per 20-25lt batch

Mark

smokomark said:
I normally use 1/2 tablet per 20-25lt batch

Mark
I use koppafloc. IMO, it produces a better hotbreak (more cottage cheesey, less fluffy silken tofu).

Latest posts

Back