Anyone else forgotten to add priming solution before?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobedogg

Reaction score
After priming individual bottles since day one I decided to get into bulk-priming. I made a bottling bucket on the weekend and last night I successfully bottled the first of two brews I had ready to go with my brother.

Ended up being a late night and after sampling a few stubbies along the way I managed to forget to add the dextrose solution to the bucket before siphoning out of primary. Just before hitting the hay at 1am we noticed the saucepan on the stove with said solution. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid. Not particularly looking forward to uncapping 2 1/2 slabs worth tonight and individually priming and re-capping...

Anyone else made this stupid error before? Any advice on 're-priming'?

Recently I'd got 3 bottles in before realising I'd forgot to prime. Luckily I caught it so early, but by then I was getting annoyed and tired and it nearly got worse.

I then made up my priming solution, poured it into the bottling bucket, got distracted, came back to it, picked up the bottling bucket and assumed it was left over no rinse solution and poured it down the sink. Back to square one.

No real harm done and could've been a lot worse.

lobedogg said:
Any advice on 're-priming'?

If adding the solution, calculate what volume you need per individual bottle and accurately dose with a syringe. If you add dry sugar to the beer it will foam up.

kaiserben said:
Recently I'd got 3 bottles in before realising I'd forgot to prime. Luckily I caught it so early, but by then I was getting annoyed and tired and it nearly got worse.

I then made up my priming solution, poured it into the bottling bucket, got distracted, came back to it, picked up the bottling bucket and assumed it was left over no rinse solution and poured it down the sink. Back to square one.

No real harm done and could've been a lot worse.
Anything can happen when you're in that frazzled state Kaiserben. If you've been at it a while cleaning, bottling etc. you can really do some stupid things. Lesson learnt in this case.

manticle said:
If adding the solution, calculate what volume you need per individual bottle and accurately dose with a syringe. If you add dry sugar to the beer it will foam up.
Thanks Manticle, this makes sense. I actually have a baby Panadol syringe on hand I could use. To complicate matters though I have a variety of bottle sizes.

So to clarifiy, if I had a 22L batch across the bottles and I have a 400ml dex solution I would need to divide 400 into 2200 to work out my amount per ml. Then I can just times that out by the bottle size

400/2200 = 0.181818

So for a 300ml bottle I would multiply 0.181818 x 330 = 6 ml per bottle etc.

Sound about right?

Lobedogg- Un-cap all your bottles and pour them carefully back into the bottling bucket. Then add you priming solution as you were going to do in the first place, and bottle again.
It will be much simpler than having to calculate the amounts for your different sized bottles.

Hope this helps in a very frustrating time.....
RB.

Thanks RB. I thought of doing that originally but got a bit scared of infection etc. Plus it means I need to refill every bottle again. I guess either way is gong to be a pain in the arse...

lobedogg said:
Anything can happen when you're in that frazzled state Kaiserben. If you've been at it a while cleaning, bottling etc. you can really do some stupid things. Lesson learnt in this case.

Thanks Manticle, this makes sense. I actually have a baby Panadol syringe on hand I could use. To complicate matters though I have a variety of bottle sizes.

So to clarifiy, if I had a 22L batch across the bottles and I have a 400ml dex solution I would need to divide 400 into 2200 to work out my amount per ml. Then I can just times that out by the bottle size

400/2200 = 0.181818

So for a 300ml bottle I would multiply 0.181818 x 330 = 6 ml per bottle etc.

Sound about right?
This may be a damn stupid question, but have you made up a 400g solution? Or is it just an example? If so that's one bloody gassy beer! I prime mine at 5g per litre and love it. But 400g is like 18g per litre! Like I said maybe that's just your example

Yeah just had the dex dissolved in 400ml.135g actually.

Went with the syringe method and seemed to go ok. Seemed to be less faffing about and no chance of oxygenation that way. Had some left over but I guess that's to be expected. Cheers all!

wide eyed and legless said:
Remove tops and prime, no other option.
BUT...it it was a nice big stout, it wont need priming, but you will need to leave it at least 6 months :icon_drool2:

Ducatiboy stu said:
BUT...it it was a nice big stout, it wont need priming, but you will need to leave it at least 6 months :icon_drool2:
Yeah my first thought Stu was to leave it but didn't think I'd have the willpower to last that long! It was a Hop Hog clone anyway and probably wouldn't have carbed much at all.

Why all the hard work, Uncap and drop in the carb drops as required. Will not fizz up and job done.
Cheers

Wasn't that hard Grott. Had a lot of different sized bottles (pints etc) and wanted to get consistent carbonation. Used carb drops before and not a big fan. Plus I didn't have any on hand.

I did have a syringe though (Baby Panadol one) so I just lined my different sized bottles up in rows and syringed appropriate amounts of dex solution in. Had to tip a few mls out every now and then (into my pint I was drinking of course) so it all worked out rather well.

manticle said:
This isn't a big deal if you get your process right. You gotta be quick but it turns it into a bit of a game.

Back