Anyone Done Anything With Figs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicfatigue

Reaction score
I put my hand up for the first crop of figs this season from the old folks tree, problem is - now I need to find something to do with them all!

Have you used figs any any brewing? Be it beer or otherwise? Do you know someone who has?

Love to hear all about it. Cheers!

I made a fig beer about two years ago.

Its takes a lot of figs to get any real fig flavour, a lot more than what you think you need. I put the chopped figs into the secondary which kick started fermentation again because of all the sugars in the figs.

Whatever beer you decide to put them into, only add a small neutral hop bittering addition and let the subtle fig flavours do the talking up front.

I would imagine some caramelised figs might go nicely in a Belgian Dubbel

Epic used Figs in a Coconut, Coffee and Fig Stout under the Epicurian label. Pretty tasty :beerbang:

They only made enough to export to US and Canada and keg a few for this season. Hopefully next year it's back with a bang!

A boiled fig wine steam is suppossed to be pretty good.

JustCollectTheSteamPunkin

I used them in a lambic. Very tasty sweet up front addition before the rest of the beer slapped you in the face.
I also tried caramelising some with a little brown sugar and cointreau and adding that to a porter. The mix tasted nice before it went in but alas the beer got infected in a bad run I was having at the time...

I have used them in a super said on that was aged with Brett. I caramelised them - idea stolen from epic. Worked out ok. The fig is pretty subtle and I think I tend imagine I can taste the fig with all the other funk going on.

Latest posts

Back