Anyone Built A Woodfired Pizza Oven

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprungmonkey

Reaction score
Has anyone built a pizza oven - how easy/hard is it? was it a success?

I see bunnings have kits you can buy - anyone made one of these (they are under the 1k mark) - which is relatively cheap compared to most i have seen.

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks Grantw for opening up anotoher world - pretty good forum

You can also build these ovens out of cob (clay + sand + straw), which is a cheap-and-cheerful way to start.
Emphasis on the *cheap*, have you seen the price of refractory bricks lately... OMG!

I often see advertising on how-to books for these in the various militant-hippy-gardening magazines we get. There was also some brief plans in a Grass Roots magazine a few months back.

No worries Sprungmonkey,

Russell Jeavons, the guy who runs Russell's Pizza in Willunga wrote a great book on building ovens, from memory his first ones used common bricks so you don't always have to shell out for the refractory jobs. If you google him you should be able to find a copy of the book somewhere.

Unless you've had a bit of practice brick laying just buy one... refractory cement (ie Fondu) is a bitch to work with!!

Hi

Another good site is www.traditionaloven.com I built one from the plans they have.
You can order a CD of plans from the site for $5. I have a few pics of the build if you want some.

Cheers
Pedro

I have built one out of a 50l keg!!

i originally started this - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/beer-keg-oven-6142.html

however it has changed alot since. larger chimney, just 2 house bricks to cook on and no insulation was necessary.

the beauty of my design is it can warm up and be cooking in about 30 mins from lighting the kindling. uses 2 house bricks to rest the pizza on and cooks as good as a "proper" wood fired oven. (trust me I've done the Pepsi challenge and the people tested preferred mine!)

very easy to use, portable, and fits in nicely in the home brewery!!! the perfect addition IMO. also makes a great portable outdoor fireplace.

this is my "pizza keg" as it is now. though no dimensions or details there are photos - http://lemonrhodes.blogspot.com.au/2012/05...that-could.html

let me know if anyone wants more details. god knows there was a bit of trial and error but since have made them for the whole family. And they are idiot proof to cook with

only prob is you need someone that can weld??

anyone interested i'll post more on it. sorry for long post.

Hey mate that looks really awesome. Like the OP I've been toying with the idea of building a pizza oven but have been put off by it having to be a permanent fixture. I just bought a place and my new neighbour is a retired welder (who seems to be welding shit under the house morning and night) & this could be a chance to get to know him.

there are some good photos on the other forum. you mentioned you built them for all of your family - have you got any pics from during the build?

I have built one out of a 50l keg!!

i originally started this - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/beer-keg-oven-6142.html

however it has changed alot since. larger chimney, just 2 house bricks to cook on and no insulation was necessary.

the beauty of my design is it can warm up and be cooking in about 30 mins from lighting the kindling. uses 2 house bricks to rest the pizza on and cooks as good as a "proper" wood fired oven. (trust me I've done the Pepsi challenge and the people tested preferred mine!)

very easy to use, portable, and fits in nicely in the home brewery!!! the perfect addition IMO. also makes a great portable outdoor fireplace.

this is my "pizza keg" as it is now. though no dimensions or details there are photos - http://lemonrhodes.blogspot.com.au/2012/05...that-could.html

let me know if anyone wants more details. god knows there was a bit of trial and error but since have made them for the whole family. And they are idiot proof to cook with

only prob is you need someone that can weld??

anyone interested i'll post more on it. sorry for long post.

Hey mate that looks really awesome. Like the OP I've been toying with the idea of building a pizza oven but have been put off by it having to be a permanent fixture. I just bought a place and my new neighbour is a retired welder (who seems to be welding shit under the house morning and night) & this could be a chance to get to know him.

there are some good photos on the other forum. you mentioned you built them for all of your family - have you got any pics from during the build?

Thanks mate!

Will start a new topic with the build when i gather some pics up rather than hijacking. The one i did for my father in-law had a spit built into it too. perfect for 2 chooks or a big roast but not much more. if i can find pics of that build i'll post them too.

try and get to it tonight if i can. Cheers.

If your keen to make it semi-portable but big enough to cook say 6 pizzas at a time then you might be interested in a barrel smoker/cooker.
I can knock out the awesome wood fired pizzas as well as do roasts, etc,etc.
Its more of a wood fired oven than a smoker but still gives that beautiful smokey flavor and aroma that pizza ovens give. (probably more so..)

link is here - Sqyre's Wood Fired Cooker

Sqyre ;)

I have a spit roaster / charcoal grill made out of a 44 gallon drum.

Can spit roast 2 legs of lamb or Charcoal fire + big pizza stone on rack = tasty pizzas ready in about 5 mins

New_guy said:
I have a spit roaster / charcoal grill made out of a 44 gallon drum.

Can spit roast 2 legs of lamb or Charcoal fire + big pizza stone on rack = tasty pizzas ready in about 5 mins
Any pics/instructions?

awesome, I acquired (legally) 3 kegs for my new brewing system.

I have decided to make 1v braumeister-ish clone out of one of them. That'd free up the other 2 kegs.....hmmm pizza oven?....Tandoor?....

I just hit up my local brew your own place and got a free 44 gallon malt extract drum
I'm thinking smoker/spit/pizza oven

Not sure if you has seen these before. http://www.robertoswoodfiredovens.com.au I have built a few of these for family as well as customers and they are the buisness! They come out of newcastle but do ship. The hardest part is laying the blocks. I have no affiliation with this company at all. Can send you pictures of what i have done if you would like, but there are plenty on the site as well as you tube. Im sure they are not for all as they are a little more expensive than bunnings but they are worth the coin.

old hot water tanks make great oven. cheap to get and very solid

Back