anyone a brisbane plumber ? got a question 4 u

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
So do i need plumber and or permit to dig across a footpath and under the cement footpath in a suburban street to put in a rainwater pipe (flow from roof).
I would need to cut and re concrete the gutter lip thing to have a "hole" in the gutter.....
(many in the street have them and are plastic looking boxes things in the cut bit of the gutter)

was hoping to DIY it but neighbor said i need a plumber and a permit FFS .... it's nothing crazy like or to hard to do

Brisbane City council area

the slackers are closed on Sat....

maybe should just dig in the dark ?

How did the neighbor know your intentions, and does the neighbor know your not a plumber?
If you used the same terminology i.e 'gutter lip thing' and 'plastic looking boxes things' I would presume the neighbor knows your not a plumber, so tackling it with an air of confidence of knowing what you were doing as if you were a plumber is now out of the question and you leave yourself wide open to being dobbed in by your neighbor.

lol they are pretty thin mob... not a lot of marbling

we have a working relationship around water / flooding issues we both have and assist each other in flood / heavy rain etc
he's worried about his "to curb pipe" that i have to go right beside due to a tree and that i could damage his if i do the digging....
so i don't want to ruin the relationship and the work i am doing actually assists with removing water he also gets onto his property
but i don't want to pay a plumber to dig a trench if i can just pay one to cut the curb and fit the "hole" and i dig

imo it's likely there will be the cutting of the curb that requires a council contribution "tax"

Talk to a local plumber they will be able to sort you out. I'm sure they won't mind you diging the trench for them as long as it falls right

I would be asking council first

Then talk to a plumber

If you can, trench to both sides of the footpath and dig thru under the footpath. Saves a lot of ******* about time cutting thru the footpath and then patching it. But if you have a concrete saw for a day, then it might be just as easy

You could do a midnight job on it, but it will haunt you when you come to sell

Just do it! I'm a carpenter not a plumber but did the same thing at my house. Dug a trench for the pipe then cut into the roadside kerb with my 9 inch grinder! Job done!

I think a lot of plumbers actually bore under the footpath with high pressure water ... No cutting required

micbrew said:
I think a lot of plumbers actually bore under the footpath with high pressure water ... No cutting required
Yep. They sure do

Digging trenches is old skool

Dial before you dig.
Put a crowbar through a bundle of fiber optic cable and see what happens.

Dave70 said:
Dial before you dig.
Put a crowbar through a bundle of fiber optic cable and see what happens.
Oh boy...I have been there...but on the end of " The guys just dug up the fiber....better come fix it"... and out we would go...

I can tell you it can get VERY EXPENSIVE VERY QUICKLY

The best I have seen is when the Railways dug thru the main Sydney-Brisbane trunk fibre and did a proper job to boot. Took out everything north of Sydney to Brisvegas...ATM's, Banks, Mobile phone, Fixed line PSTN, Internet...the ******* lot

Telstra tried to sue us for Millions.........up until they realized that there own blokes didnt locate it properly....

Ducatiboy stu said:
Oh boy...I have been there...but on the end of " The guys just dug up the fiber....better come fix it"... and out we would go...

I can tell you it can get VERY EXPENSIVE VERY QUICKLY

The best I have seen is when the Railways dug thru the main Sydney-Brisbane trunk fibre and did a proper job to boot. Took out everything north of Sydney to Brisvegas...ATM's, Banks, Mobile phone, Fixed line PSTN, Internet...the ******* lot

Telstra tried to sue us for Millions.........up until they realized that there own blokes didnt locate it properly....
yeah we had a pool we were digging in Perth the operator was a good hand and didn't break anything he cleared out 3 main fibre trunk lines; now we had checked and double check, when we contacted telstra they said we don't have anything there, no easment it's not ours. In the back ground my offsider fired up the quick cut the telstra guy just about had kittens and asked for photos, sure enough it was theirs alright! Obviously we quit the pool and the owners spent a lot of time and money in courts trying to get telstra to pay up. Their new house was sitting right on top of all 3 trunk lines, the footings must be within inches.

Fibre is funny stuff..

I have had to find breaks that where ultimately caused by lots of heavy vehicles in the rain where they basically crushed it, but then again I have seen sections of it after land slips and its like a guitar string and stiill working. Fiber has a kevlar core and strings which stretch less that the fiber itself and is incredibly strong. But we also had a trace wire, sand & vinidex over the cable, then crusher dust, tape crusher dust then soil

A strand of the kevlar as thick as a boot lace will pull out a bogged Landcruiser.... not that we ever tried doing crazy shit like seeing who could tie the best knot in some cable and test it with 2 Troopies