• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Anybody in AU selling those mini oxygen regulators for disposable tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
I've seen a few Aussie retailers advertise oxygen aeration kits but the ones I can find are out of stock. Maybe somebody accidentally bought two and doesn't want their second one? :p

I can get them from America but I don't want to wait weeks for delivery and I'd rather not pay $50 shipping for 200 fuckin' grams of equipment. Straight up highway robbery. :angry:

Cheers.

Cheers. The one at Connor Breware is the sort of thing I'm talking about but they've been out of stock since forever.

The one at MHB is crazy expensive, it must be a different type of system?

from what i understand, MHB's one is a proper regulator with a flow gauge etc
all the cheaper ones are just a sort of bleed valve

Do we really need these or are they just another bit of brewery bling? I know of many a brewer who produces competition winning brews and all they do is shake the shit out of the fermenter a couple of times?

Bernzomatic cylinders are becoming hard to come by; I heard they'd gone under. Not the best value either, the OxyTurbo bottles hold more oxygen for not much more $$.

The regulator for the one MHB sell are also available from Reece Plumbing, the regulator is part number OTS200RO. Requires a 3/8" female to 1/2" male reducer, 1/2" JG fitting to connect standard JG line. Stone is a flare fitting 0.5micron stone, plus JG flare fitting. Reg was $75, bottle is about $50.

JG fittings are best for this setup IMO as it's easier to sanitise.

Truman; other methods work, but regarding O2, the results are proven. Google it.

O2 Reg Adapter by auvortex, on Flickr

shaking the shit out of it and a bee's dick worth of olive oil works for me...

vortex said:
Bernzomatic cylinders are becoming hard to come by; I heard they'd gone under. Not the best value either, the OxyTurbo bottles hold more oxygen for not much more $$.

The regulator for the one MHB sell are also available from Reece Plumbing, the regulator is part number OTS200RO. Requires a 3/8" female to 1/2" male reducer, 1/2" JG fitting to connect standard JG line. Stone is a flare fitting 0.5micron stone, plus JG flare fitting. Reg was $75, bottle is about $50.

JG fittings are best for this setup IMO as it's easier to sanitise.

Truman; other methods work, but regarding O2, the results are proven. Google it.

O2 Reg Adapter by auvortex, on Flickr
Thanks for that mate - good information!

Where do you get the Oxyturbo bottles from? Can you special order them at Bunnings like the Bernzo or is there a distributor?

Truman said:
Do we really need these or are they just another bit of brewery bling? I know of many a brewer who produces competition winning brews and all they do is shake the shit out of the fermenter a couple of times?
You CAN manually get air in there by stirring with a spoon or even an aquarium pump and airstone, but pure oxygen is the ducks nuts of it. As far as oxygenating the wort goes, your ferments will be quicker and you should see your final gravities drop lower than an unoxygenated wort would. I can attest to this with first hand experience.

slash22000 said:
Thanks for that mate - good information!

Where do you get the Oxyturbo bottles from? Can you special order them at Bunnings like the Bernzo or is there a distributor?
Reece have them too, sorry I should have mentioned :)

Truman said:
You can notice a huge difference in the quality of your beer ,ie much cleaner tasting and much better attenuation from your yeast. I would recommend it to anyone.

Hippy said:
You can notice a huge difference in the quality of your beer ,ie much cleaner tasting and much better attenuation from your yeast. I would recommend it to anyone.
Big +1 on that.

Much more vigourous fermentation too.

My best brews have all been *after* I got the O2 setup from MHB.

Maybe you can get similar results with an aquarium pump. I never tried it, and its fairly hard to shake the shit out of a 60L fermenter ;)

Which meant I had to beat the crap out of the wort... which I did... but compared to O2, I was probably wasting my time.

Couple minutes of O2, and I'm done.

I must admit shaking a fermenter is a PITA. I usually cant get it to seal properly and wort leaks out every where. When I do get it sealed properly I cant get the bloody lid undone. So youve won me on an oxygen kit.

Thing is even if you shook the fermentor for a month, or used a pump to pump in air, you'd never get the recommended oxygen saturation since air itself doesn't have enough oxygen in it.

slash22000 said:
Thing is even if you shook the fermentor for a month, or used a pump to pump in air, you'd never get the recommended oxygen saturation since air itself doesn't have enough oxygen in it.
I'm pretty sure that statement is not correct, it just takes about 10 minutes rather than 1 minute.

Aww, not this shit again?

Homebrewers have several aeration/oxygenation methods available to them: siphon sprays, whipping, splashing, shaking, pumping air through a stone with an aquarium pump, and injecting pure oxygen through a sintered stone. We have tested all of these methods using a dissolved oxygen meter and have found that, when using air, 8 ppm of oxygen in solution is the best that you can achieve. Injecting oxygen through a stone will allow much higher dissolved oxygen levels.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

browndog said:
I'm pretty sure that statement is not correct, it just takes about 10 minutes rather than 1 minute.

"10ppm will supply adequate oxygen in most situations." (below 1.065 OG)

"When using air, 8 ppm of oxygen in solution is the best that you can achieve. Injecting oxygen through a stone will allow much higher dissolved oxygen levels."

http://www.hamiltoncompany.com/products/sensors/c/1016/

"Ale strains usually need between 8-12 ppm, lager strains require slightly higher amounts (10-15 ppm)."

slash22000 said:

"10ppm will supply adequate oxygen in most situations." (below 1.065 OG)

"When using air, 8 ppm of oxygen in solution is the best that you can achieve. Injecting oxygen through a stone will allow much higher dissolved oxygen levels."

http://www.hamiltoncompany.com/products/sensors/c/1016/

"Ale strains usually need between 8-12 ppm, lager strains require slightly higher amounts (10-15 ppm)."
So you can get the 8ppm required for ale yeast with air.

browndog said:
I don't see how that relates to Slash22000's comment.
It was related to your post, the one directly above it, suggesting that plain air will give the same o2 saturation rate as pure o2.

The subject of aeration/oxygenation with pure o2 has been done to death. The benefits of o2 v's plain air are well known and documented, as are the maximum oxygenation saturation rates for the various air infusion methods. There's no reason to question any of it.

Back