Anybody Done This?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerking

Reaction score
hey guys . I need to move some beer from a keg ,i need the keg for a fresh batch of beer. I dont want to waste the current brew and was thinking i might take it off the co2 and purge for a few days to get rid of most of the co2 and than bottle the beer flat and add some carb drops to my bottles.I know i can bottle straight from the keg but i dont have a counter pressure bottler and figure the recarbonating method with carb drops seems easier.

Any feedback would be great.

cheers Leigh.

You could always make a bottle filler from a bronco tap there is a video on YouTube on how to do it. Very simple and seems effective enough.

Bottle & cap straight from the keg... far simpler than your other proposed method.

cheers Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
yep chill the bottles down first will stop it foaming and then turn the reg off release the pressure in the keg and open the tap and increase the reg pressure till the beer starts to flow and fill slowly. I put a bit of beer line up the inside of my tap it fits tight and then you can fill from the bottom of the bottle. Get very little foaming doing it this way.

Put a bottle wand on the tap Ross? Purge the bottles with CO2?

Can these bottles be stored long term?

I ask because I have a keg of 7% Belgian Blonde that won't be drunk anytime soon, would like to save some in bottles long term. Was thinking of doing this.

yep chill the bottles down first will stop it foaming and then turn the reg off release the pressure in the keg and open the tap and increase the reg pressure till the beer starts to flow and fill slowly. I put a bit of beer line up the inside of my tap it fits tight and then you can fill from the bottom of the bottle. Get very little foaming doing it this way.

kelbygreen.
Whats the carbonation level like using this method,i presume there is no need to prime the bottles with sugar as there should be heaps of co2 still in the beer.??????

I do the $10 method on the youtube video, works a treat.
A piece of rigid 10mm line cut at an angle with a bored rubber stopper - the soft white ones from the USA work the best.

I also have a gas line with picnic tap and same rigid tube fitted to flush the bottles from the bottom with CO2 prior to filling.

+ 1 also for having the bottles cold before filling makes a big difference on the foaming.

Also i do all this without making any adjustments to the keg. My serving pressure is around 85kpa and thats where it stays.

Ive kept a bottle filled like this for 3months IN THE FRIDGE and it was still perfectly carbed, obviously not as fresh as it was but i could not taste any massive amounts of oxidation.

Back