Any Plumbers Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewgong

Reaction score
So I want to put a shower and toilet in my shed there's a sewer line going across my yard it was capped off when previous owner sub divided block was plumbed to neighbors shed. The pipe is approx 200mm higher than the shed floor so basically I need to push shit uphill. my thought is to build up the floor of shower and toilet 400mm the pipe would come through the wall then straight down into the ground run uphill approx 200mm over 10 meters to tap into existing sewer....same principal as a water tank overflow using head pressure. Would this work ?

lol thanks for the fast reply ....any suggestions?

So I want to put a shower and toilet in my shed there's a sewer line going across my yard it was capped off when previous owner sub divided block was plumbed to neighbors shed. The pipe is approx 200mm higher than the shed floor so basically I need to push shit uphill. my thought is to build up the floor of shower and toilet 400mm the pipe would come through the wall then straight down into the ground run uphill approx 200mm over 10 meters to tap into existing sewer....same principal as a water tank overflow using head pressure. Would this work ?

If you want to connect to the existing sewer and have electricity in your shed you could use a macerating toilet https://www.plumbingsupply.com/when-and-where-to-use-a-macerating-toilet.html. I don’t like them though as they can be troublesome and block up frequently.

Where are you located, could you build a simple septic tank and soak away?

If it is for a shower and toilet in the shed that only sees the occasional turd flushed down it you wouldn’t need much.

If the aria around your shed drains well and doesn’t flood, just build a small brick pit with an over flow pipe discharging into a soak away pit.

For the soak away pit dig a hole about a square meter fill it with rubble up to about 30cm of ground level, cover with a plastic top off with soil and replace the turf (if you are building it in your lawn) or whatever.

Run the shower directly to the soak away not through the septic tank as soap, shampoo etc will kill the bacteria in it.

Here is a link to a great little Septic tank system commonly used in Hong Kong.

http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/sites/def...ntinhk/water/guide_ref/files/guide_wpc_dv.pdf

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time to help S.E I just looked at the macerator on Ebay that sounds exactly what I need . Not keen on a pit as the back yard has flooded a few times over the last 15 years

Septic tank in a flooded back yard not so good.

Unless you're a licenced plumber / drainer, *you're not permitted to work on drainage. End of story.

https://ablis.business.gov.au/service/nsw/notice-of-work-plumbing-and-drainage-/33677

*Unless of course, you find a plumber willing to sign off on your work.

Unless you're a licenced plumber / drainer, *you're not permitted to work on drainage. End of story.

https://ablis.business.gov.au/service/nsw/notice-of-work-plumbing-and-drainage-/33677

*Unless of course, you find a plumber willing to sign off on your work.
That link is NSW nanny regulations. Op hasn’t stated where he is located or even what country he is in unless I have missed it somewhere?

It is true though and very sad that a property owner is not permitted to carry out such a simple task as install a toilet in their shed here in NSW.

I have always legally renovated my own properties including drainage and installing toilets without a licence, not in NSW though.

I'm glad unlicensed plumbing isn't permitted.
Otherwise we would have people thinking that blind mullet can swim up hill (like the OP).
They cant, they lurk in the bottom of the pipes and fester until you have a solid mass of compacted shit and toilet paper - then you have to call a plumber and believe me the plumber will charge you a bomb to clean out the crap, another motza to fix the problem the way it should have been done in the first place.
If you decline to be gouged (FW Tax) you will probably get a visit from your local council/water board who will make you pay even more, fix the problem properly and quite likely fine you on top.

Call a plumber first, see what they have to say about doing it right the first time. It will be cheaper in the long run!
Mark

That link is NSW nanny regulations. Op hasn’t stated where he is located or even what country he is in unless I have missed it somewhere?

It is true though and very sad that a property owner is not permitted to carry out such a simple task as install a toilet in their shed here in NSW.

I have always legally renovated my own properties including drainage and installing toilets without a licence, not in NSW though.

Indeed, plumbing doesn't require advanced degree in fluid mechanics, and you may be very handy yourself, but thats the exception, not the rule. I've personally seen jobs bordering on criminal stupidity.
One that springs to mind was a lady in a duplex complaining about a burst of pressure escaping every time she turned on the hot tap. A quick look at the heater revealed the 'handyman' who managed the property had decided to replace the TPR valve with a 3/4 brass bung - because it was dripping all the time..- potentially turning it the storage tank into a 150 kg steam bomb. A ******* 5 year old can tell you what happens when you over-pressurize a balloon.
Not to mention the odd DIY gas installation where leaks were dealt with via a swipe of silicone, storm water run into sewer pipes, braided hose and compression fittings used behind walls - the list goes on.

Sometimes the ramifications go way beyond a backyard full of shit when you throw gas, electricity and water into the mix.

I'm glad unlicensed plumbing isn't permitted.
Otherwise we would have people thinking that blind mullet can swim up hill (like the OP).
They cant, they lurk in the bottom of the pipes and fester until you have a solid mass of compacted shit and toilet paper - then you have to call a plumber and believe me the plumber will charge you a bomb to clean out the crap, another motza to fix the problem the way it should have been done in the first place.
If you decline to be gouged (FW Tax) you will probably get a visit from your local council/water board who will make you pay even more, fix the problem properly and quite likely fine you on top.

Call a plumber first, see what they have to say about doing it right the first time. It will be cheaper in the long run!
Mark
I wouldn’t agree Mark. I think a great part of reason people don’t understand how these things work is they are not allowed to ask knowledgeable friends and family to help them carry out these simple tasks themselves as in my day, and must rely on a (often dishonest) tradesperson they don’t know.

When I was doing anything structural or say laying a sewer pipe we had to pay a small fee to have it inspected by council (or private) building inspectors to ensure it complied and was signed off. I would rather see that adopted here rather than the compulsory use of licensed trades

Very often tradespersons rip you off and will advise whatever is easiest for them or will make themselves most money.

I have experienced this a few times with NSW licensed plumbers and electricians. A couple examples:

My sister-in-law was having her electric HW system replaced with instantaneous gas. The plumber removed the existing HW storage tank that was located right outside the kitchen and bathroom at the back of the house nice and near the HW taps. Then proceeded to hang the new gas unit at the far side of the house next to the gas meter.

I questioned what he was doing and he explained that it was the best place as he could connect easily to the gas and run a short length of HW pipe to connect to an old disused wash sink that someone had DIY installed under the house.

I pointed out that my sister in law would need to run the hot water taps in the kitchen and bathroom for ages before any HW came through wasting both water and gas every time. He eventually agreed that it was better to site the new unit near to the HW taps and run a gas pipe from the meter to it. This took him about half an hour as it was an easy run under the house which was built on a sloping block.

Last year a leaking HW tank was to be replaced at a rental property along with some other electrical work at the property.

I had advised the letting agent that there was an off peak electric meter but the existing Dux Aeroheat System was not connected to it as it needed to operate during the day. As the new HW system was going to be off peak I suggested the electrician be arranged to attend same time as the plumber and wire the new tank.

Electrician turned up a bit late connected the wires to the new HW tank (the plumber had disconnected the old one) and switched it back on. I told him the old system had not been off peak, apparently the message had not been passed on to him so he went to look at the meters.

After a brief inspection he declared this is a bit weird it’s going to be a bigger job and getting his phone out said he will need to call the agent and let them know. I asked what was wrong with it and what the complication was.

He arrogantly pointed to the mess of wiring behind the meter board and said you show me how to do it.

So I did. Mate you only need to move that red wire from that meter over to the off peak meter, everything else is fine.

About ten minutes later the new tank was connected to off peak and the electrician in a furious mood got on with the other jobs he had been instructed to do.

Indeed, plumbing doesn't require advanced degree in fluid mechanics, and you may be very handy yourself, but thats the exception, not the rule. I've personally seen jobs bordering on criminal stupidity.
One that springs to mind was a lady in a duplex complaining about a burst of pressure escaping every time she turned on the hot tap. A quick look at the heater revealed the 'handyman' who managed the property had decided to replace the TPR valve with a 3/4 brass bung - because it was dripping all the time..- potentially turning it the storage tank into a 150 kg steam bomb. A ******* 5 year old can tell you what happens when you over-pressurize a balloon.
Not to mention the odd DIY gas installation where leaks were dealt with via a swipe of silicone, storm water run into sewer pipes, braided hose and compression fittings used behind walls - the list goes on.

Sometimes the ramifications go way beyond a backyard full of shit when you throw gas, electricity and water into the mix.
Licence trades often do stupid and dangerous things too Dave.

I need to get a landlord gas safety check each year on the gas boilers (that I installed myself) in UK rental properties.

A couple years ago tenants moved in and smelled a strong smell of gas and called the gas board who found the licensed engineer had pressure tested the main gas pipe and hadn’t tightened the bleed screw up after. They turned off the gas capped the meter and told the tenant to get the engineer back to reconnect and test it again.

I just believe it would be better if people could learn to do a lot of these simple jobs themselves. Like the OPs toilet in garage.

It would be nice if he had the option to learn to lay sewer pipe and install a toilet. Then have it inspected and signed off rather than have to pay a tradesman to do the job.

Thanks again S.E it's great to have helpful people like yourself on this forum.

No problem mate. Dave70 and MHB are both very helpful people on the forum and the advice to call a plumber is sound advice. Just a shame that if in NSW you would have to get a plumber even if you are capable of carrying out the job yourself.

If you are not sure how to go about the job getting someone experienced on site may help identify a simpler solution than I can from behind a keyboard.

One thought springs to mind. How do you know of the existence of the capped pipe? Do you know it is buried in your back yard or is it sticking out of the ground in plain view and you are thinking of connecting to it there?

If the latter chances are you could dig down and connect lower to give enough fall for a conventional toilet. Or do you know the direction the pipe runs? You may be able connect at a lower point elsewhere.

Also are you sure the pipe was serviceable before it was capped or still is? Old drains often collapse or have tree roots growing through them so you would want to test it before going to the expense of installing your shower and toilet.

yeah mate I remember when we bought the place it was dug up and capped as we had the option to buy both blocks but could not afford it at the time the electricity water and sewer were all disconnected from the shed next door. I know the direction it runs and I will get a plumber when the time comes it was just thought I had I would build the bathroom myself but as for connections which if failed would flood my yard in shit I'll be using a plumber.

Back