any other type 1 diabetic brewers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey all,

so i've been an insulin dependent diabetic since the age of 5 (now 38) and today had an insulin pump fitted. it's fantastic. life-changing already.

just got me thinking, are there any other type 1 diabetics on this forum? any issues with your brewing or drinking? i'll happily admit i haven't had too many issues unless i have a bender, but that's basically the same for non-diabetics and their health too.

cheers and beers (and insulin :p) haha

fletcher.

Yep I'm what my endo confusingly calls a 'mature age juvenile diabetic'. I developed it 5 years ago after my idiot immune system attacked my pancreas by mistake.

I changed my lifestyle a bit but i was never into sweet food or drink anyway so it wasn't a huge deal. Beer wise i am making drier beers as i find things like stout and US ambers can have heaps of hidden sugar. I need to keep an eye on my bgls if I have more than a couple of beers.

Is the pump fully auto? Does it check your blood for you?

Pump sounds good - was it exxy? Lots of diabetes in our family, my sister was type 1 also around 5 years old, Dad diagnosed type 1 around 35 years old (also mature onset?) .. Uncle diagnosed type 1 as a youth ..

Monitor things carefully lads, my Uncle didn't manage it too well - stuffed his kidney, went on dialysis, had his foot chopped off ... passed away far too young.

If your type 2 its time to sell the brew equipment and buy a treadmill instead. You've clearly done enough damage to yourself.

Yep I'm what my endo confusingly calls a 'mature age juvenile diabetic'. I developed it 5 years ago after my idiot immune system attacked my pancreas by mistake.

I changed my lifestyle a bit but i was never into sweet food or drink anyway so it wasn't a huge deal. Beer wise i am making drier beers as i find things like stout and US ambers can have heaps of hidden sugar. I need to keep an eye on my bgls if I have more than a couple of beers.

Is the pump fully auto? Does it check your blood for you?

hey mate,

the pump isn't automatic whereby it acts on its own as a pancreas would but it's similar only because i'm using a sensor, which is the expensive separate, optional (but in my opinion, needed) part. the sensor is a CGMS (constant glucose monitoring system) which is bloody amazing. it's constantly monitoring my level which sends that to the pump, and the pump easily allows me to adjust my insulin OR halts it if my levels are low. it's mind-blowing.

Pump sounds good - was it exxy? Lots of diabetes in our family, my sister was type 1 also around 5 years old, Dad diagnosed type 1 around 35 years old (also mature onset?) .. Uncle diagnosed type 1 as a youth ..

Monitor things carefully lads, my Uncle didn't manage it too well - stuffed his kidney, went on dialysis, had his foot chopped off ... passed away far too young.

luckily, the pump was completely covered by private health (they cost about $950 odd) but the sensors are the expensive part. the part that actually monitors your levels.

If your type 2 its time to sell the brew equipment and buy a treadmill instead. You've clearly done enough damage to yourself.
Nobody has mentioned type 2 diabetes. Even so, blaming people for having it is pretty ignorant. Yes poor lifestyle choices can bring on type 2, but some people just have it. One of my friends does and she is a kale eating health freak.

luckily, the pump was completely covered by private health (they cost about $950 odd) but the sensors are the expensive part. the part that actually monitors your levels.
I've used the freestyle libre CGM and it is really convenient compared to pricking yourself. I do have private health, might look in to getting a pump.

I've used the freestyle libre CGM and it is really convenient compared to pricking yourself. I do have private health, might look in to getting a pump.

yeah using it with the libre is an option they gave me too. look into it, it's really changed things for me :)

Back