Any One In Perth Looking For Cheap Maize Polenta

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonta

Reaction score
hi guys just a heads up there is a new shop opened called all nations varieties market address is unit 2 72 attfield st maddington sealing polenta(maize) for $2.39 a Kg

Sounds like a steal, here polenta and other spec grains like cous cous are ridiculously overpriced because the supermarkets know they are for a very small 'enthnic' niche so economies of scale don't apply. I guess that shop you refer to is serving an Italian community in the area perhaps?
I've given up on polenta as it's just as easy to tip in a 500g box of ALDI cornflakes if it's a darker beer and the bit of salt and toastiness works in well.

yeah i just spent 4 bucks for 1kg of plenta where as corn grits/kibbled maize (only diff is the size of the grit) is 1.20 per 500g / 2.40 per kg.

Rip off if you ask me. <_<

Any example recipes for beer that use maize? When I was in Peru I drank some chicha... but I assume you can use it more traditional style beers?

Any example recipes for beer that use maize? When I was in Peru I drank some chicha... but I assume you can use it more traditional style beers?

Mate, this one is tasting great out of the fermenter, kegging tomorrow. Might try to save a bottle for the case swap....I had a Corona with flavour in mind.....
23l
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (P): 11.9
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 25.3 (Average)

89.36% Pale Malt (Galaxy)
10.64% Flaked Corn (Boiled til gelatinous, poured in mash)

2.4 g/L Styrian Golding (3.5% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 75 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

US05

Notes: 90 minute hop addition is to allow for no chill in the cube.
Dry hopped 23 gms of Styrian for 5 days

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cheers, John.

Edit: that is bloody cheap polenta, Spoonta.

:icon_drool2:

CAP II
Classic American Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/05/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 81.82 %
1.00 kg Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 21.2 IBU
20.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
3g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.98 %
Bitterness: 32.2 IBU
Est Color: 3.3 SRM

Mash Profile

75 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 69.8 C 64.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 93.8 C 75.0 C

You could look up my Baltimore Blonde Cream Ale on the DB, seems to be a hit with everyone who tries it. My American Malt Liquors that I have been playing around with are basically a Baltimore Blonde on steroids, with greatly increased maize and rice content, and a big dose of sugaz to get it up to 8% ABV.

If you try maize and like it, then you might want to try doing a separate cereal mash with it, which IMHO gives a wonderful smoothness and body. Aussie malts such as JW or BB are perfect for cereal mashing but not UK malts which don't have enough diastatic power.

Anyway getting off topic, but Fourstar how do you cook the corn grits, do they take a massive amount of time compared to polenta?

Anyway getting off topic, but Fourstar how do you cook the corn grits, do they take a massive amount of time compared to polenta?

Grits are a complete and utter PITA, kibbled maize (about 3-4x larger than polenta granules) is alot easier and polenta, well its the easiest of the lot.

grits are a 1/2 hour jobby, much like how you cook polenta properly they stay starchy forever. i have also dabbled with rehydrating it overnight like how you do with dried legumes which helped.

just stcik with polenta and then kibbled if you're stuck. im pretty confident if you simply cereal mashed the kibbled, you'd get decent conversion. :icon_cheers:

the joy of this shop is thay have 3 different sizes of the the stuff and there is not a set amount you have to buy

Back