any one have a good simple tripel recipe ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so last 2 beers have been low 5% to 5.5% drinkers. wanna brew another strong ale for the supplies and xmas break

always keen to hear what you guys got up your sleeve .Google produces 1000 recipes that maybe be great or shite

commercially like all the usual Belgian contenders .am leaning towards something lighter in color since it will be summer . something like a Chimay white or Karmeliet .but all options considered .If you got a kick ass dubel recipe I may be swayed to the darker side

100% pils malt, keep the mash temp low, don’t be shy with the hopping, but edge towards noble and floral if in doubt.

If you want to dry it out, with sugar, consider using something interesting like honey instead.

Some mild spice additions to keep things interesting if you wish

Don't worry about light candi sugar either, you can just use normal sugar.
Depending on how you want the body to turn out, you can replace about 10% of the pils malt with sugar (add it a few days in to fermentation - get the yeast to sort out most of the complex sugars from the malt before the simple sugars). I would mash at a medium temp, but you can ash low and long if you want it to really attenuate out.

There are some nice Dubbel recipes here. I brewed Tomme Arthur’s Dubbel (I did the very last one, except with sultanas instead of dates) and it was delicious! Especially after 6 months in the keg it really came into its own (unfortunately by then it was nearly empty).

Got a Tripel ready to go at the moment, but it's only in a cube so not sure how the recipe will turn out. Halfway through building the starter for it now and intend to leave it for 6 mths. Recipe is based on what little info there was in Brewing Like a Monk for a Westmalle.

Thanks guys

doesn't get much easier than all pils and some dextrose

for yeast I was thinking WLP530 but have realized I will be bottling my Belgian pale with WLP550 right before it . now I'm think pitch right onto the yeast cake .WLP550 ok for a tripel ?

ok so I'm to brew this on Saturday

going to scale down the volume to 17l , whats fits in my 15l cube , to keep the OG high . don't think my grain bag could handle 7 kg

6kg pils
1kg dextrose

software reckons OG of 1076

mash 63 for 90

then regular 60 min boil with whatever noble hops the HBS has in stock . keep IBU around 30

and going pitch onto the yeast cake of my 1050 Belgian pale ale with WLP550 that is fermenting now .

Thinking of maybe dry hopping with some citra just to give it a modern edge. but will decide later