Any Negative Tastes From Hops Stored Open Air?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I was doing some dry hopping on my way out of the house the other night, and just now realised I completely forgot to reseal and revac the bags. D'oh.

I am now needing to dry hop again tonight or tomorrow. The bags have been sitting open air in the spare room in the chilly Canberra winter since saturday...so four days at around 9-11 degrees.

They don't smell like horrible cheesy feet or anything, but they don't smell super aromatic either. Not the end of the world If I end up chucking them, but if the only risk is less aroma, I might just chuck a higher amount in...don't really want to ruin a batch for $10 worth of hops though.

Thoughts?

Have they been in the light (especially sunlight, even if the weather is not warm)?

Have they been in the light (especially sunlight, even if the weather is not warm)?

Nope, dark spare room, but I suppose there is a slight chance some sun peaked through the curtain at them during the daytimes...hmmm....skunky skunk skunk....

Also may, as far as I understand make a difference if they were pellets or flowers - this is from recent reading so I can't tell you enough to tell you the difference.

Pellets defrosting slowly can create some issues as far as I recently read. Flowers defrosting can/will rupture the cell walls.

UV, slow defrost and flower defrost all have alleged associated flavour issues.

Not sure about yours - if you aren't either and aren't prepared for a suck it and see approach, then use new hops and save these for something you are less attached to.

Not really replying from personal experience so I apologise for that*. This may give you some ideas to research though. Hope that's partly useful.

*Have tasted butryric acid (cheesy hops) and lightstruck/skunk (UV), just not done exactly what you've done.

I reckon if they are pellets they will be fine. I have no evidence to back that up, but if it was me and they don't smell off I would use them.

...from recent reading ...

Any particular publication? I'd love to take a look at the article.

In the end I decided to turf them. I wouldn't say they smelt skunky or cheesy, but they didn't smell right either. I spent a good few minutes trying to find the right adjective...without much luck, but through my head cold I was getting almost 'cake mixey' vibes....like as the hop oils got weaker the smell got sweeter.

Not sure, but I erred on the side of caution - and lessons learnt re: hop packaging.

Was a thread here from yesterday although the info contained within could lead to a literature trail.

Give me couple of days to hunt it up, send me a reminder PM if I seem to forget - unless someone else links in the meantime..

Back