Any interest in a Hobart based home brew club?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtas

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if there’d be enough interest to get a home brew club up and running in Hobart?

I want to keep learning and improving as a brewer and there’s only so much of that you can achieve online. It’d be great to have real live brewers to talk to, learn from and get feedback from. I think there’s a decent number of us on here from Southern Tasmania and I know of a few others so I’m hoping we’ve got enough interest to kick something off.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a monthly meeting with:
  • Sharing beer & getting feedback
  • Some kind of education (there are a bunch of interesting people we could get to speak to us as well as people from within the group I’m sure)
  • Getting to know other brewers

Of course, all that depends on what others are up for as well. I was thinking we could set a first get together to meet each other and talk through the possibilities. That’d be worth doing even if we didn’t manage to get something up and running.

Sacha (aka smacha on here) has organised the upstairs room at the New Sydney as a meeting place. We’re shooting for a first meeting on March 19 @ 7:30 for 8pm start. New Syd are willing to serve as a long term meeting place and it sounds like they’re willing to be pretty generous to us.

What do you reckon?

Sounds great,though I'm not Hobart based. Maybe if you could get the New Syd to do what Archive do for BABBs (where beers are competition fodder for a 'one off' batch on tap in the pub).

Sounds OK to me. I need all the help I can get!

I think I was sitting at the bar when Smacha was talking to Al at the New Syd! Overheard a word or two without being an earwig. That is, if he was talking to him on Tuesday afternoon at around four.

Anyone going to HOPS next Thursday at New Syd?

Great idea.

If you visit Melbourne on the mainland sometime we could organise a mass clubs meet up!

There seem to be a lot of these start-up clubs happening lately....

Count me in! Would be happy to volunteer some time as well to help such a club along.

sounds good. thanks for the mail invite too.
If the club isn't massive, rather than going to the new syd each week, we could do a rotation around to various members houses? New syd for the first few meetings would be good though.
I'd love to see someone do a BIAB, as im not at that stage yet. I've read up on it but nothing beats hands on personal experience.

I'm in like Flynn.
Alex, I BIAB and live on the sunny side of the river too. Will let you now when I am next doing one if you want to come around and see the process.
Jez

Great idea - hope it works out better than the Launceston club that didnt quite get off the ground. They couldnt decide on a name and it then seems to have fallen over.
Cheers
LB

A brew club meeting in a pub on a school night. ...what could possibly go wrong! lol
Pencil me in. I live on the Eastern shore. Drive along the highway Friday night and you might even smell my wort boiling :)

LagerBomb said:
Great idea - hope it works out better than the Launceston club that didnt quite get off the ground. They couldnt decide on a name and it then seems to have fallen over.
Cheers
LB
Just because the name "Pirates" wasn't agreed upon. :p :lol:

Hobart's Opportunist Pisshead Society.

...years ago I was involved in whisky tasting, I suggested Tasmanian Whisky And Tasting Society. Took about two days before somebody cottoned on when I mentioned about getting t-shirts printed. :)

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Just because the name "Pirates" wasn't agreed upon. :p :lol:
Nope - more like Labia - Launceston Area Brewers Inc Aust or something like that.

The response so far has been fantastic! Sounds like there's a bunch of us on the same page. One thing I should have mentioned in my first post was that it'd be great if you guys could invite any home brewing friends who aren't on the forum along too.

BrewRick said:
I think I was sitting at the bar when Smacha was talking to Al at the New Syd! Overheard a word or two without being an earwig. That is, if he was talking to him on Tuesday afternoon at around four.
Yeah I reckon that would have been him. That's a proper Hobart experience.

LagerBomb said:
Cheers
LB
Thanks, LB. Hopefully we'll have the momentum to crash on through any problems like that.

To be honest, something like Hobart Brewers would be fine with me. I don't feel the need to be too clever about it.

Back