Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id probably join just to join another brew club LMAO.. Founding member discount..mind you hell of a way to travel

Again, thanks for all the replies and PMs.
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting bringing homebrew to commercial premises (although I've been served homebrew on commercial premises, but that's another story). But an initial meeting of like-minded folk in a suitable licenced premises would be appropriate. I reckon most homebrewers appreciate proper beer, rather than the CUB swill.
To whiteferret, it depends what you mean by "really north". I'm a Geordie, so have a slightly different perspective to many when it comes to the definition of "North". But I guess I mean inner northern suburbs. I'm aware of Worthogs, but Greensborough is too far for me. Any venture like this, I would suggest, needs to be well served by public transport, given that it's probably not the kind of thing we'd want to encourage people to drive to.
OK, I'm going to nip around to the Alehouse in the next couple of days and see how they'd feel about a flash-mob of homebrewers ending up at their bar sometime in early January. I will report back to this forum when there is something useful to report.
In the meantime, please keep registering interest.
Also, what kind of club works best? Should it be a formal club, with Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and a constitution, etc? Or a more informal get-together? (This is all just to stimulate ideas, not pre-empt any meeting). How often should the club meet? Do we want to have competitions, with BJCP judges drinking and scoring our beer? Anyone got any clever ideas for a name?
Hopefully we can keep the momentum going on this and actually organise something which will take on a life of its own.

Personally I reckon it would be really great to have a semi-regular club to go to to swap recipes and tips and share the occasional beer. You know, kind of like a CWA lamington bake only with.... um.... beer. I'm interested in competitions but partly for the feedback aspect, so being able to swap beers and compete in a friendly way with others would be really helpful. I'm interested in the established competitions too - but the opportunity for more intimate friendly feedback would be really great. (Not sure secretary, treasurer, etc, would be necessary though.... depends how organised the group becomes).

This is a great idea Kevin. When like me you start doing weird stuff like brewing beer, making cheese or beekeeping you start to realise how useful it is to get together with likeminded people to discuss ideas, listen to talks (yep, that's what it often comes down to I think - boring and middle class as it is, a club is usually structured around listening to other people give a talk. Hey, it's not that bad really.... ), and, basically, learn. I really appreciate the initiative and effort and would be happy to help when we've got more of an idea of how this will work - good one mate!

+1 Alehouse. Awesome place.

Definitely keen on comps. Was getting my feet this year and would love feedback next year on my brews.

Also Interested, probably jumping the gun but I was feeling like doing some logo development so here's one based on the name the Northern Brewing Club. Northern may be way too expansive and I'm not wanting to step on any Worthog toes but its the best name i could think of.

Finally joined the forum and just found this thread. Registering interest from Kensington. Meeting and the brew place, with their library and the possibility of using the pilot brewery sound great :)

Count me in. Am in Pascoe Vale. Informal club be easier to run but also like the idea of the more formal structure for a club as gives bit more credibility and attract a better cross section of brewers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Contacted Ale House and they said they would be keen but won't to know some details first.

Kevin I'm happy to go to the Alehouse with you to discuss if you like.

OK, visited the Alehouse this arvo with my 2 girls in tow, for whom I got a lemonade each, whilst I had a Young Henry's 'Real Ale' English Best Bitter, (which is not actually "Real Ale" as it's not matured in the cask,.. well wasn't even in a cask, but that's another story which would probably get pretty boring if I got started, and besides it was bloody good in any case).
So anyway, I spoke to Alex, and he says that the best night to have such a gathering of the kind we're discussing would be a Tuesday. We could have the side room to ourselves if necessary, and he's not totally against the idea of us bringing in our own brews, as long as the majority are drinking the house beers.
However he wants me to get back to him with the sorts of numbers we're talking about.
So...
I said provisionally, how about Tuesday 7th Jan at about 7:30 pm?
I know that day and time won't suit everyone, but then no date or time will. However hopefully it's at a time when people are not off on holidays, have Christmas out of the way, and allows enough time to get back from work, have something to eat and get down to Lygon Street.

So, how does this work for everyone?

Thanks

K

I might be able to make it. Won't have much of use to contribute though.
My intention is to be a sponge. Also, the Alehouse is always a good place to visit :D

I'm expressing my interest here as well. Fitzroy north for me so everywhere is close!

Westgate has meetings on a Sunday...
We meet at a hall...where we can enjoy our homebrew...
We have a BBQ , we run comps , we have social nights,
We also have members from Kensington , Eltham , Burwood , Epping...not just the west..
Just saying....

Just saying people from thornbury and brunswick shouldn't start a club?

I belong to Melbourne brewers club and we have people from all over the place too.

Go for broke ye who has the same surname as me.

Back