Any idea about brewing in China?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miran

Reaction score
I am going to be in China for a year from next week. City name is Qingdao. Read alot about their Tsingtao Brewery overthere. Any idea about home brewers and home brewing up there?

I am going to be in China for a year from next week. City name is Qingdao. Read alot about their Tsingtao Brewery overthere. Any idea about home brewers and home brewing up there?
There are a few Americans making craft beer over there but I think they are mainly in Shanghai.

Tsingtao in China is a different from export Tsingtao, less bitter for one. The most popular commercial beer is Sun, which is about as low in hop aroma and bittering as any beer I've ever comes across. So unless you like bland beer, go with home brewing, maybe after inquiring about laws. From other boards I know there are expats home-brewing there. You'd want to get imported ingredients, from what I've seen of Chinese ones.

Yes to brew in China you will need imported quality ingredients. Argentine barley supplies are now streaming to China, 250,000 tonnes. Mostly feed barley which is normaly sent to Saudi Arabia to feed camels. Australia had previously been China's main supplier of quality malting barley. The CPC controlled trade restictions now means it will be hard to get a decent beer or wine in China!

My bro lived in China for 7 years, most of that was in Sanya on Hainan island, he used to brew but no idea where he got his ingredients from.

I found a homebrew community and a homebrew supplies up here in Shanghai. Will check them right after quarantine ;)

Back