Any chance of saving a high FG?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Reaction score
So a little bit of background, I'm new to all grain with only 4 BIABs under my belt. First 2 went fine except for efficiency which will be a work in progress. However my last two brews have finished extremely high on the FG. The last one I put down to a lack of airation however my latest brew I have no idea.

The brew was an IPA with an OG of 1.061. I pitched 24gm of craft Brewer American ale yeast at 22 degrees just sprinkled over the top and then chilled to 19. Thing took off now worries at all but has stalled at 1.031 and I have no idea why. Readings are taken from a refractometer calibrated with demineralized water. It's been in for about 9 days now and steady for 3.

So is there any hope of getting it going again or am i going to have to suffer through the sweetest IPA on record?

Take a reading with a hydrometer if you have one. Refractometers don't work once there is alcohol in the beer without applying a correction factor. It's probably down to about 1.014 or so.

Btrots87 you're a bloody legend. Quick calc on a few sites I found show the FG is right where it needs to be. Now to work out how to get my efficiency up to 70% and I'll be one happy man.

Thanks again.

They really should tell people this in the instructions with a refractometer, lost count of the number of times I have seen this question come up???

Matplat said:
They really should tell people this in the instructions with a refractometer, lost count of the number of times I have seen this question come up???
Or the person could just do a little research themselves...either look up refractometer FAQs before buying, or when unsure about a reading that it has given. It takes less time to research it themselves than to post on here!

goatchop41 said:
Or the person could just do a little research themselves...either look up refractometer FAQs before buying, or when unsure about a reading that it has given. It takes less time to research it themselves than to post on here!
Well that's a fair comment if I knew the refractometer was the actual bloody issue. My issue was high FG which I'd researched the hell out of. Thanks to btrots87 astute eyes he picked up on my measuring device and hence the issue.

MCW said:
Well that's a fair comment if I knew the refractometer was the actual bloody issue. My issue was high FG which I'd researched the hell out of. Thanks to btrots87 astute eyes he picked up on my measuring device and hence the issue.
Fair enough. Another way of double checking would have just been to have a taste of it, as the lack of overwhelming sweetness would have tipped you off to the disparity between the reading and what you were tasting.
In the future, I would definitely recommend doing a bit of research not only about the positives/advantages of a piece of equipment that you're considering purchasing, but also looking for issues that others have had with it/disadvantages of it. That way you're equipped for any problems that you may run into

Latest posts

Back