Another STC-1000 question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Will a STC-1000 be able to switch two K-mart kettle elements?

I have two elements in my HLT and I would like to 'Automate' operations a little.

So I was wondering if the STC will handle two elements or will it not?

Cheers

What's their wattage?

*edit: terrible beer-influenced grammar

That's pushing it I think - best wait for someone more educated than I to confirm

I think maybe they could do one element at a time but not both if they are 2100w. My Big W kettle which is pretty much the same says 2200w.

Your answer is 1.

No more than 1

1 shall be the magic number

They shall only use 1

Another point to consider that the wattage of an element is at a given voltage.
The standard for AU is (now) 230 volts. But in many places (like here) we still get the old 240 volts.

But if you're looking at a 220V /N/ watt element, when run at say 240V it will be using /N/+10% (approx) more power because of the higher voltage.
(EDIT: because 240V is approx 10% higher than 220V)

You would need to install a secondary relay to handle that, but it would work.
You could even do this to switch the 2 elements from 2 10A circuits.

If you dont understand what was just said, dont do it, or find someone who can.
Voltage is bad, dont die etc...

You'll blow the STC-100 running 2 elements, as above. What you could do is use the STC to activate 2 relays from 2 power sockets - but in doing this you'll need to look at the rating of the circuit it's running off OR get your power from 2 circuits.
If this all sounds too hard run your problem by an electrician who'll look at your house and work out a solution for you quickly.

Agree,
Don't use STC1000 to control anything over 2400w rating no matter what the supply voltage is,
the power draw is still the same with a diferent voltage supply the current draw will change,this
is where the outlets 10amp rating is a factor,a good quality outlet is engineered to handle the small
voltage change 230-240v.

Interestingly, it seems 230v has not been adopted Australia-wide. But whether the relevant standard states 230v or 240v, it really doesn't make any practical difference to what your power point delivers.

I believe the allowable standard in states where 230v has been adopted, is +10%, -6%, which gives a wide range, and happily accommodates 240v.

http://electricalconnection.com.au/when-voltage-varies/

On our PV system log (Tigo), we see voltage ranging from 237 to 251, depending on whether we're boiling the kettle for coffee, or whether the neighbour is doing some welding.

Just to note; I use two separate outlets to power the elements in my set-up.

So, I guess two STC's would be the easiest solution?

scooterism said:
Just to note; I use two separate outlets to power the elements in my set-up.

So, I guess two STC's would be the easiest solution?
Yes, providing the two outlets are on different circuits. Sparky could verify.

In my case, being in the bush and having a three-phase power supply to my brew-shed, I have my HLT powered from one phase, and 2200w heat-exchanger element powered from another phase.

Interesting thing to do if you have a volt meter is to see what the voltage is on a circuit before and after switching on a big load (like a 2200w element). In a town area, close to a mains transformer, the drop might be small, however in my case, being about 300m from the transformer, it drops about 8v.

You could use the stc to trigger 2 external relays, but 2 stc is prob easier

Latest posts

Back