Another Reason To Have One More Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Pot or tot could be the medicine for longer life

BEER-LOVING blokes of the world, rejoice three pots a day could put you at far less risk of a heart attack than staying teetotal.

A new study, confirming what many experts have been telling us for years, suggests that not only is a daily tipple good for the heart but abstinence could be harmful to your health.

The American survey charting the health of nearly 9000 men over 16 years revealed that risk of heart attacks was lowest among healthy men who drank moderately up to three drinks a day. A standard drink is measured as a pot of full-strength beer, a stubby of medium-strength beer or a spirit nip.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/10/...1455664145.html

How ironic to have a story about beer being healthy, then your sig has a collection of fatty BBQ'ed foods in it!

But haven't they been saying this for years (at least they were with red wine)?

well, the red wine argument was that there were ingredients other than the alcohol that was good for your health. This article says that alcohol itself is also good for you on a reasonable level.

They (who are they?) also say that coffee helps protect the liver from alcohol damage. So..Drink coffee, drink beer!!!! :beer:

Long live Beer & Coffee. Maybe not cholesterol.
My Doctor has been telling me to drink alcohol, even beer, for years to increase my "good" cholesterol.

You can worry too much about what's good or bad for you, and worrying is bad for you. When your numbers up it's up!

Could get hit at 20 yrs by the No. 9 Bus. Thinking about that, wouldn't it be bad if you got hit by it while crossing the road to have a beer.

It's simple really, just do what you can to minimise risk. Mate of mine fell down the church steps one Sunday morning and broke his arm, so I stopped going to church. Now I just go to the brewery/shed for a beer to minimise the risk of being hit by the bus.

i think drinking lots (within reason) of beer is fine. How many people die from liver damage then how many die form heart attacks etc. The liver even of a strong drinker will probably outlast the heart which would have very little to do with beer. bit of exercise here and there to keep in shape a little and your set.

edit: poerhaps the only down side is keyboard skills

i think drinking lots (within reason) of beer is fine. How many people die from liver damage then how many die form heart attacks etc. The liver even of a strong drinker will probably outlast the heart which would have very little to do with beer.

Its mostly the "Within reason" bit that is the problem, as actaul moderation, C/W actual moderation is a very different thing, The evidence for alcohol being protective is slim, and difficult to control, as is any research encompassing lifetimes,

High alcohl intake will affect the entire body, while you maybe able to burn off the calories of your drinking, by exercise it is not possible to by-pass its internal effects.

Everyone is differnt, and maybe there is a body that can withstand 70 schooners a week for 50 years...

Excellent news.
I can throw away my dog-eared 1982 report that says beer is good for you.
That's what I love about nutritional research reports. Every product has its day in the sunshine of goodness. It just depends on which company commissioned the research.
If I don't like what they're saying this week I'll just wait. Everything I'm currently eating and drinking - and have been most of my life - will be good for me again soon enough.

Time for another vitamin pill...sener :chug:

It's simple really, just do what you can to minimise risk. Mate of mine fell down the church steps one Sunday morning and broke his arm, so I stopped going to church. Now I just go to the brewery/shed for a beer to minimise the risk of being hit by the bus.

Firstly, did you push your mate for tactical reasons?

I took up home brewing as carrying a slab on your shoulder while crossing the road to get home is dangerous.

Latest posts

Back