Another perspective on saving money by HB'ing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
I didn't get into to home brewing to save money, I like the whole cross between alcohol/science/cooking etc and of course the creativity and freedom of brewing what I want.

Tonight I have just placed my next order with our lovely sponsors Craftbrewer. I tend to order four beers ahead to ensure that shipping to the MNC does not get out of hand. I am a Partial Mash brewer and I don't buy any ingredients in bulk.

Anyway one of the brews I have planned is a copy of one of America's highest rated APA/AIPA's Three Floyds Zombie Dust. I am actually going to brew two batches, one with Citra (like the original ZD) and one with Mosaic (the new hipster of hops it seems, it might come wearing rolled up jeans, a designer flanno and have a beard!). It ends up being about 220g of hops in a 19L batch and my initial gut reaction was this is gonna be relatively pricey. Relative was right.

According my calculations including cost of LDME, malts, all hops, yeast, and share of shipping it works out to be $28 per standard shop bought case of beer. Now given this is hopefully going to be 95%-105% as shit hot as one of the best craft brews on the US market tha its very freakin cheap. As a comparison one longneck of a comparable beer, say Green Flash IPA comes to somewhere around $15 a longie at most good Sydney bottle shops.

I ain't complaining about the cost of US craftbeer (hell its gotta come a long way) and I regularly buy stocks when in the Big Smoke to -ahem- benchmark my brews and gain inspiration. But at $2.30 a longie for my copy which will probably be fresher and hence full of hoppier goodness I am happy. That and I hope I like it cause I have never been able to get a bottle in Oz. Hope the nerds at Beer Advocate are right.

OK, 'Ode to HB' over

Stew

I'm very pleased with my Cascade / VB version at the equivalent of $8 a slab :)

(picture posted on another thread as well)

VB Clone.jpg

Stew, Warra and I'll have to come over to Worchoppy and help you to evaluate that drop of yours.

:icon_offtopic:
Nice bright clear beer there Bribie.

Mate welcome anytime and would love the feedback. You just might need a designated driver to get home though.

Currently drinking are the following:
Weizenbock
Porter
Weizen
Weizen with Hibiscus
LCPA Clone
AABC winning West Coast style AIPA
Golden Ale with Kiwi Hops
Harvest Amber Ale with homegrown Chinook

Conditioning in the bottle are:
Belgian Dubbel
Aussie Megaswill Fake Lager with US05

In the fermentor dry hopping:
21st Amendment Bitter American (APA) Clone

Next up in the fermentor:
Zombie Dust IPA with Citra
Fake Euro Lager with US05 (I have given up on lager yeasts)
Farmstead Hill Walden Clone, a lighter 4% APA
Zombie Dust IPA with Mosaic
A rebrew of the afore mentioned West Coast style AIPA

Let me know when your next up this way and I can organise some samples to take home with you. Can drop off at Warra's if that is easier as he and I are always swapping brews.

Bribie G said:
I'm very pleased with my Cascade / VB version at the equivalent of $8 a slab :)

(picture posted on another thread as well)

attachicon.gif
VB Clone.jpg

Stew, Warra and I'll have to come over to Worchoppy and help you to evaluate that drop of yours.
Maybe you shouldn't have the forts so close together man, you lose them and you'll have to rage quit.

brad81 said:
Maybe you shouldn't have the forts so close together man, you lose them and you'll have to rage quit.
I built them on captured territory (once owned by the resigned red guys and I took over their remaining stone mines to fund them) so I could be nearer to the green guys and launch waves of Elite Cataphracts at them. By that stage they were just about stuffed anyway :D

waggastew said:
Hope the nerds at Beer Advocate are right.
They might be able to tell you the right glass to use anyway... :ph34r:

Let us know how she goes. Haven't tried Zombie Dust and I'd consider having a crack at a good recipe.

Bribie G said:
I built them on captured territory (once owned by the resigned red guys and I took over their remaining stone mines to fund them) so I could be nearer to the green guys and launch waves of Elite Cataphracts at them. By that stage they were just about stuffed anyway :D
Byzantine scum...

Back