Another One Of My Theoriesproved Correct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracka

Reaction score
Beer after workout better than water
> >
> > LONDON: When you reach for an ice cold mug of suds after playing a
> > game of football, cricket or a long run, you're not just quenching
> > your thirst, you're actually doing something healthy for your body --
> > seriously!
> >
> > Researchers in Europe have carried out a study and found that a glass
> > of beer is far better at re-hydrating the body after exercise than
> > water as the sugars, salts and bubbles in a pint help people absorb
> > fluids more quickly.
> >
> > "The carbon dioxide in beer helps quench the thirst more quickly,
> > while beer's carbohydrates replace calories lost during physical
> > exertion," the 'Daily Mail' reported on Friday, quoting lead
> > researcher Prof Manuel Garzon as saying.
> >
> > In fact, the researchers at the Granada University in Spain came to
> > the conclusion after examining 25 students who were told to do
> > strenuous exercise in temperatures of around 40C until they were
> > close to getting exhausted.
> >
> > Half of the students were given a pint of beer to drink, while the
> > others received the same volume of water after the workout.
> > Subsequently, the team measured their hydration levels, motor skills
> > and concentrationability.
> >
> > Prof Garzon said the re-hydration effect in the students who were
> > given beer was "slightly better" than among those given only water.
> > Based on the studies, the researchers have recommended moderate
> > consumption of beer -- 500 ml a day for men or 250 ml for women -- as
> > part of an athlete's diet.
> >
> > It may be mentioned that past studies have revealed that sensible
> > drinking of one or two units of beer a day could help reduce the risk
> > of heart disease, dementia, diabetes and Parkinson's disease.

Don't know if it is true or not, but makes me feel better :D

Seems contradictory to everything I've ever read or been told about alcoholic drinks dehydrating you.

Also judging by comments in the previous thread, it's probably untrue...

I'll stick to water after a workout thanks ;)

Seems contradictory to everything I've ever read or been told about alcoholic drinks dehydrating you.

Also judging by comments in the previous thread, it's probably untrue...

I'll stick to water after a workout thanks ;)

:lol: sook :D :D

Did anybody spot the contradiction?

> > Researchers in Europe have carried out a study and found that a glass
> > of beer is far better at re-hydrating the body after exercise
> > Prof Garzon said the re-hydration effect in the students who were
> > given beer was "slightly better" than among those given only water.

So the researcher says that beer had a "slightly better" hydration effect, which promoted the brain-dead %&'# journalist to write that it is "far better at re-hydrating the body"[my emphasis].

Let's get this straight, it is slightly better. Slightly!! That's a good thing, but let's make sure we don't get carried away. I also find it peculiar that the researchers, based on this fairly weak evidence, would go so far as to say:
> > Based on the studies, the researchers have recommended moderate
> > consumption of beer -- 500 ml a day for men or 250 ml for women -- as
> > part of an athlete's diet.

Ha ha ... what's that about? I mean athletes should have 500 mL of beer a day? Like you can't get carbohydrates & fluids from somewhere other than beer? Gee, like, um, sports drink for example? And why 500 mL for blokes versus 250 mL for women? That would suggest that all male athletes are twice as heavy as all female athletes. I would be surprised if that were true. Give the ladies 350 I say! I mean, if they can pull numbers out of their arse, why can't I?

It's good to see a study that says one or two beers are not bad for you after a workout. A bit better than water? Hey, great! But it is NOT enough by itself to restore glycogen reserves and aid muscle recovery. The ideal recovery drink within 30 minutes after a big workout has 1 g of carbohydrate per kg of bodyweight and a quarter of that in protein, and that much again in a meal within an hour and a half of exercise. That's about 80 g carbohydrate for the average boofy lad. A regular can of beer only has about 12 g of carbohydrate and about 1.5 g of protein. Not enough. So you need about seven beers for the carbs plus a couple of boiled eggs thrown in for the protein. By that time, unfortunately, I think the alcohol load might start to take its toll and the net effect may not be so positive.

My take on this study: great! it is no bad thing to chug a beer or two after a workout, but you need a bit more than just a beer if you have really been going at it for a couple of hours and need to recover for another training session the next day.

Strangely the team didn't seem to look at sports drink! (Or the journos conveniently ignored that part of the study!) :icon_cheers:

I would be surprised if that were true. Give the ladies 350 I say! I mean, if they can pull numbers out of their arse, why can't I?

It's good to see a study that says one or two beers are not bad for you after a workout. A bit better than water? Hey, great! But it is NOT enough by itself to restore glycogen reserves and aid muscle recovery. The ideal recovery drink within 30 minutes after a big workout has 1 g of carbohydrate per kg of bodyweight and a quarter of that in protein, and that much again in a meal within an hour and a half of exercise. That's about 80 g carbohydrate for the average boofy lad. A regular can of beer only has about 12 g of carbohydrate and about 1.5 g of protein. Not enough. So you need about seven beers for the carbs plus a couple of boiled eggs thrown in for the protein. By that time, unfortunately, I think the alcohol load might start to take its toll and the net effect may not be so positive.

:blink: nah, I think I like the "beer after workout better then water"

Who cares if it's not true. Let us have our fantasy :beerbang:

if id just done a workout (wich i dont) bcoz i climb trees for a living. First thing i look forward to is downing the first beer to wash all the dust down . Then the second beer is for re-hydration. The 3rd beer is to make up for all the water ive drunk through out the day. And the fourth is just because ive gotten a roll on and need to even it up.

I eat like an athlete and drink beer like a home brewer. If i give up beer for 3 weeks(which is rare,only when my ass gets to heavy to pull up trees) i lose 6 kgs. If i dont cut back on my beer i get fat.
BEER DOES MAKE YOU FAT. Its empty calories. Its all about balance :lol:
I seem to balance better when im slightly top heavy.
Beer is best!
cheers,kingy

edit:drunk post due to rainy day

if id just done a workout (wich i dont) bcoz i climb trees for a living. First thing i look forward to is downing the first beer to wash all the dust down . Then the second beer is for re-hydration. The 3rd beer is to make up for all the water ive drunk through out the day. And the fourth is just because ive gotten a roll on and need to even it up.

I eat like an athlete and drink beer like a home brewer. If i give up beer for 3 weeks(which is rare,only when my ass gets to heavy to pull up trees) i lose 6 kgs. If i dont cut back on my beer i get fat.
BEER DOES MAKE YOU FAT. Its empty calories. Its all about balance :lol:
I seem to balance better when im slightly top heavy.
Beer is best!
cheers,kingy

edit:drunk post due to rainy day
I found my self in a similar position Kingy, I cut back on the booze and carbs. I now average 4 drinks a day with 2 free days a week, never felt better. And I've lost 7 kilos to boot! :D

This reminds me of a tv show I half remember (I think the Baldric guy from Blackadder was narrator) about worst jobs in history. He said that the dock porters and farm machine operators were served up many pints during their working day to nourish and quench their thirsts as part of their pay. In those days people had much more physically demanding work and if beer didn't get them through the day they would have drunk something else I guess. There could be something to this...

top show blackbock

would they also have been drinking the beer as a substitute to bad water tho? ie. the fermentation process killing off nasties ect.

oh and thanks steve, next time i do a work out, 7 pints and a couple of boiled eggs it is :)

Latest posts

Back