Another Newby - Bits 'n Pieces

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_W

Reaction score
Firstly hi and thankyou to all the posters here.

I finally took the plunge and got a home brew kit after contemplating it for years. Last Saturday I put down my first brew.

Being a complete newb and not knowing better I just followed the instructions on the pack (Morgans brewing kit but Coopewrs Pale ale extract).

Since then I have discovered both this and grumpys forum and after spending several (actually more than several) hours here reading old topics and posts I have learnt more about home brewing than I ever thought I would want to - again thankyou to all contributers.

Now I am not expecting my first brew to win any prizes - particularly give I just used bog standard ingrediients and method (which apparently suggests temperatures higher than those recommended on the forums). However given my new found information I intend to rack my brew this weekend which hopefully will help with it's quality.

I do however have a question that I didn't see asked or answered on the forums (forgive me if they have but there is a bloody lot of posts to go through!
:blink:

Anyhooooo....

Those priming thingys they give you in the kits... I have seen them bad mouthed severley by most posters who refer to them more as boiled lollies... the most common complaint is they give too much fizz. I am contemplating doing a bulk prime but was wondering.... The instructions for them says to use 2 per 750ml bottle - what if you were to only use 1 instead?? Has anyone tried what to me seems a fairly logical compromise with their use? If so what were the results??

Thanks in advance.

Mark

For your first ever brew, I would just follow the instructions and add the 2 per 750ml as stated. Then if the outcome isn't entirely to your liking then adjust for subsequent brews. That's the best way I found to learn, by changing a little bit each time. Once you've exhausted your 'boiled lolly' supply I would consider bulk priming. B4 you know it you'll be onto AG's.

Welcome to the brewing world and I am sure what you produce with your first kit will be drinkable.

cheers
Roach

PS - why not try priming a couple with 1 and compare the difference. Personally I haven't used the drops BTW.

Latest posts

Back