Another Hops Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo2001

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just brewed up a 22Lt English Ale from a TUBS kit by OzBrew and the wort tasted VERY sweet as I was putting it into the primary. I don't know what the hops are in the kit but I boiled them with the malt (amber I think) and the brew enhancer for 40 mins.

I guess that the hops are either Fuggles or Goldings and have entered this into BeerSmith to see whats going on and I got an outcome of 3 IBU's but I want 25-40 IBU's.

My question is; can I go out and buy a 50g pack of Goldings and boil up a concentrated tea for an hour and just pour this into the primary today or tomorrow or do the hops really need to be boilded with the wort?

Hi everyone,

I just brewed up a 22Lt English Ale from a TUBS kit by OzBrew and the wort tasted VERY sweet as I was putting it into the primary. I don't know what the hops are in the kit but I boiled them with the malt (amber I think) and the brew enhancer for 40 mins.

I guess that the hops are either Fuggles or Goldings and have entered this into BeerSmith to see whats going on and I got an outcome of 3 IBU's but I want 25-40 IBU's.

My question is; can I go out and buy a 50g pack of Goldings and boil up a concentrated tea for an hour and just pour this into the primary today or tomorrow or do the hops really need to be boilded with the wort?

Wort will always taste very sweet as you transfer it into the fermenter, because the sugars have not been converted to CO2 and alcohol as yet.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to start adding anything at this stage. Let it ferment out, then taste your hydrometer sample and see if you feel it needs anything more at that stage.

A 40 min boil would give you more than 3 IBU. Check your calc.

You could add a new boil to the mix.. Not really the done thing but as long as you keep things clean I would say yes. Stand to be corrected here.

Cheers
How did you go about the boil.

Thanks for the help.

The kit only came with 9g of (unknown) hops which isn't alot so gave very low IBU's. I brought the water to the boil, added the malt and BE and then once boiling again added the hops and timed 40 mins.

Id say the liquid malt extract that comes with the kit is already bittered, just like a regular Coopers tin. Guessing based on your previous post where you said the instructions said to just mix it up, and didn't say to do a full boil.

Yeah thats what I'm now guessing, thanks. I think that my next brew will definitly be a full extract brew so I know exactly what's in it.

If you have the capacity to do a boil (ie a big pot) I'd say skip the extract and give stove top biab a go. Have a search for nickjds $30 stove top thread.

Back