Another Honey Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyOnes

Reaction score
Found this recipe on another website and would be interested in your thoughts...they make no coment about boiling the honey or not and I was also wondering about whether this is going to be a really sweet finisher given all those fermentables on top of the kit....maybe that why the "bitter" kit. Also whats the deal with the OJ - just flavour or is there another function??

1 x Coopers Bitter Kit
1 kg Dextrose
500gm Malt
500gm Honey
750ml 100% Orange Juice
3 tbs Cinnamon Powder

Cheers n beers.
Andrew

As Shaun Micallef used to say on his program on Channel 9: "Into the bin!!!".

That has to be the dumbest recipe I have ever seen.

Orange Juice??????
I am surprised he didn't add a tin of Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup.
Perhaps some Fish Sauce? Hommus? A radish?

I would avoid that website at all costs. They obviously
have no idea what they are talking about.

Maybe thats the recipe to make a crook brew which I think Normell was after?

I think it will steer everyone away from your kegs for good!

Recipe looks pretty potent too with 1kg dex + 500gm of honey & 500gm Maltodextin on top of the coopers

Well, after a bit more research down at the local brew shop here's what we put down on Sat arvo:

Blackrock Whispering Wheat Kit
500g Dex
500g light Malt
400 ml Orange Blossom Honey
20min Infusion of 12g Cascade Hops and dried orange rind (2 oranges)
Saflager yeast
OG 1.052

Cut back to 18L and 18 deg ferment

Tasted pretty good and took off like the proverbial rocket in primary....

What I learned about the orange juice from the incredibly helpful homebrew shop was that although some people use it successfully, you have to 1. be careful there are no preservatives in the juice you use and 2. it can become a bitter influence on the beer. The shop reccomended the orange zest infusion instead as it captures more of the subtle aromatics that give the beez neez that summery fruity taste.

Will see what it turns out like in a few weeks I guess....

Yeah, orange juice will invariably become bitter if you try to ferment it. Zest is good, although I think you need to avoid the pith.

A little honey does seem to make the ferment go like the clappers. Also worth considering is honey ferments really dry so it's usually worth boosting the malt content (as opposed to thte dextrose) to compensate.

Orange blossom honey is marvelous stuff, I brewed with some a few years ago.

Honey wheat beers are delicate brews, and need a delicate hop.

Cascade is a very strident hop, and you might find it too overbearing in this brew. Next time, maybe go with one of the low alpha noble hops, like tettnanger or hallertau. They would tend to balance better with your ingredients.

Try and Use a Honey that has been harvested from one variety of flower its a little more but far superior :D

eg Yellow box or Blue gum. Don't use that mixed garbage that Capilano make called Pure honey :unsure: .

FrostyOnes said:
Well, after a bit more research down at the local brew shop here's what we put down on Sat arvo:
[snip]
Will see what it turns out like in a few weeks I guess....
[post="48054"][/post]​

Well, tried this last night after 3 weeks in the bottle. It has a slightly bitter nose but no sign of bitterness in the mouth, I wonder if it might be something to do with the rind, or maybe the hops?
The brew is very smooth with aftertaste of honey, not too sweet, on the light side withthe fizz (it was bottled with 6g/L dex), just about spot on compared to the stubbies of real BeezNeez except for the funny nose...it's not unpleasant - just a bit wierd as it sets you up for a taste that doesn't arrive.

Maybe this will mellow out a little with more time in the bottle?? Whadayareckon?

FrostyOnes said:
Maybe this will mellow out a little with more time in the bottle?? Whadayareckon?

I've made quite a few meads and honey beers and I have always noticed that honey based beverages need quite a long maturing time to balance out (my elderflower and peach mead took 7 years to get to a drinkable state). I have 1 bottle of my latest braggot left. After 2 weeks it was very harsh but after 2 months in the bottles it was lovely.

2.5kg light malt extract (liquid)
2.5kg ironbark honey (yep 50/50 malt and honey)
800g Crystal (lots of crystal to add body as honey ferments out very dry with no body at all)
35g pride of ringwood for 60 mins
20g cascade for 5 mins.

The hop aroma was overpowering at first (might use a gentler hop next time) but has aged out nicely.

I've made quite a few meads and honey beers and I have always noticed that honey based beverages need quite a long maturing time to balance out (my elderflower and peach mead took 7 years to get to a drinkable state). I have 1 bottle of my latest braggot left. After 2 weeks it was very harsh but after 2 months in the bottles it was lovely.

2.5kg light malt extract (liquid)
2.5kg ironbark honey (yep 50/50 malt and honey)
800g Crystal (lots of crystal to add body as honey ferments out very dry with no body at all)
35g pride of ringwood for 60 mins
20g cascade for 5 mins.

The hop aroma was overpowering at first (might use a gentler hop next time) but has aged out nicely.

Hey i know this is an old post, but i was wondering if u remember how much you filled up in the fermenter, was it like 23ltrs for this recipe
Cheers

Hey i know this is an old post, but i was wondering if u remember how much you filled up in the fermenter, was it like 23ltrs for this recipe
Cheers
re your handle - cheeky bugger!

re your question. its probably something like 23L so the %alc would be about the 8-9% range. at a guess. there is a mead thread in the non-beer brewing section with more up to date recipes including from Airgead

Cheers

This is an old post isn't it. My recipe has moved on a bit from this. As CM says, check out the non-beer forum and you'll see a bunch of braggot recipes (including my latest) in there.

For the record though, this one would have been 23l. I wouldn't suggest making it though. My new one is much better (AG though so that might be a problem for you).

Cheers
Dave

Back