Another FG thread, opinions please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birusuki

Reaction score
I was just reading elvish`s FG thread today, I am in a similar situation and just want to get some opinions.
I too am just geting back into it and my final FG is higher than I thought it would be.

ingredients used,
One can Morgans pilsner
base malts how much not sure?
200 gm caramel specialty malts
200 gm extra light dry maly
15gm saaz hops.
1 pack of morgans premium ale yeast.
gypsum
Irish moss.
I got this as a set and forgot to weigh the base malt, and it doesnt say in the instructions.
Don't know if I needed the gypsum. only came with a small amout so I put half of it in.
I mashed the B. malt, steeped the caramel
boiled for 60 mins hops and dry malt and Irish moss added at 50min.
cooled and added to fermenter, toped up with bottled mineral water.

OG 1044,
FG 1012 but the instructions say it should finish at 1005?

After reading elvish`s thread I started wondering as I have no real idea, how much unfermentables are in this.
I also was in a bit of a panic (first brew back and first P.Mash.)
I forgot to aerate the water.
I also put the hops right in the boil and didn't strain it. could this affect FG? having all that muck suspended in the wort_

The wort tastes great, not sweat at all. Looks and tastes like a good beer (to me) without the gas.
I plan to bottle a couple of pet bottles, and leave the rest just to see how it goes.

all Thoughts are welcome.
Cheers.

Hi Monchan.

How long has it been in the fermenter? What temperature?

Were the instructions for a partial mash with those exact ingredients?

How much base malt is important, what type is somewhat important, how crushed is important, how much water is important and mash temperature and time is very important.

If the instructions were for a different recipe using that kit, then a different result is to be expected.

Relax. 1.012 sounds about right for an English style ale yeast.

Not aerating won't be issue with 15g of dry yeast in a 20 litre batch. Nor will tossing the hops straight into the boiling wort.

There are heaps of variables that will affect OG and FG, such as yeast strain/health/quantity, grain crush, mash temperature, amount of adjuncts (sucrose, dextrose, honey etc).

fermented for 9 days. It stayed at around 20 dec. is still at that now.
@Cant so how much base malt. but I`d say over 500gm
Mashed @ 66dec for 60 mins. it sometimes went up to 68 or dropped to 65 as I was trying to control it.
The only thing I didnt do per the intructions was mashout @ 77dec for 5 mins. everything I`d read said not to let the mash get above 66.
wasn`t sure so I didnt do it. I didnt measure the mash water either. I covered the mash bag just enough to cover all the grain + alittle to allow
good circulation of the water.

There is a healthy layer of yeast scum around the top of the fermenter, and I counldnt see inside it for the condensation, so I`d say it`s done its
job. Mind you there might be something lost in translation, I`m in Japan, recipe is in japanese, and my wife has no idea. It seemed to have a lot of variations
Might be too hard to tell under these circumstances.

Just leave for a few more days and see if the gravity drops or remains stable but sounds like a reasonable fg.

Thanks for the input, I feel relieved now. Have been to some planning to organize time to bottle it.

Now I need some help with priming. I was reading through some threads on here for priming the fermenter.
After reading those I now have less of an idea than before I started reading. I thought it just a matter of working out
the volume of the beer following a formula and go.
carbonation rate for beer style, fermentation temp, different primers and what ever else those threads were talking about.

I don't really mind if its not carbonated to the correct rate for the beer style as long as it doesn't seem half gassed or flat.
I didn't CC it. and the temp was pretty constant and don't think it got over 20 dec. My volume is 22lt ATM.
And the beer style?? don`t know what to input. pilsner brewed with ale yeast. Going by the above ingredients how much primer would
you guys use.

On hand I have.

Fructose, is that dex? I think it was listed on the Japanese site that I use as grape sugar.
I also have LDM extract.
I don't really want any changes in flavour as it seems really good as is.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back