Another Anyone Recognize This Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Have been eagerly awaiting kegging my latest Saison.
I get to it tonight and notice this on top.
And there was mould around the tap.
Cleaned the tap up. Drained a bit of beer. Had a taste. All seems normal.
Kegged it and have my fingers crossed.
Also kegged another beer tonight that had been in the same freezer for two weeks longer and it was fine.
Only thing I can think of is that fermenter is one of the screw lid ones and wasn't sealed tightly and as there is no airflow in my freezer mould grew and got in.
I think I may have caught it in time (maybe I just have to drink that keg super quick :chug: )

Anyone know what type of growth it is ?

Beers,
Doc

Very annoying as this is the first time this has happened to me.

GrowthonSaison_001.jpg

No i don't recognise this question *boom tish*

But it looks to me like mold, in which case the beer should be fine shouldn't it?

Would skimming it off the top help in cases like this? (assuming it is mould)

Which yeast did you use Doc? WLP400? I have a similar growth on the top of my wit with WLP400. It smells shite though, I think mine may be a result of autolysis... :(

Yeast was WLP565 (Saison). Been in secondary for about a month. Extended time due to no empty kegs after a huge couple of weeks of brewing.

The pic was taken after I'd kegged the beer and I had left that remainder in the fermenter when the level of the beer got to the tap, so that I didn't get any of it in the keg.

Currently I'm sitting on five full kegs, two beers in secondary ready to keg, and another beer about to starting cold conditioning. Was going to brew this weekend but might hold off a couple more weeks :D

Doc

I had what looks like this sometime ago Doc , kegged and it was fine , I did as you have and had a taste , I also tried some of the mold , seemed ok :huh:

I have never had it since , I am sure I posted a thread when I had it , but it's lost in AHB cybre space now

Batz

Sorry, Doc I don't know what that is, but you need to have a party to empty all those kegs!

- Snow

One suggestion with this type of top growing mould.

It may be an aerobic mold, that is why it is on the surface where there is still some oxygen in the headspace.

Don't try and scoop the scum off the top, you won't get it all and it is likely that any off flavours will be sitting just under the offending scum. Rack the beer without disturbing it into a keg, leave the last few cm of beer behind with the scum on it. Purge the headspace a few times, carbonate and drink sooner rather than later.

Looks like you have already nailed this problem Doc.

I've got exactly the same happening on the Weizen I racked last w/e, maybe something in the air at the moment, its been particularly windy and hayfevery(?) in Sydney recently. I'll be bottling it ASAP!

so long as it stays attatched to your brew gear and not your other gear gear, try not to worry too much mate! but seriously it,s got me tricked, maybe a build up of left overs that you did not notice before.from experience i have been caught before and it is bloody annoying.

Latest posts

Back