Anhc 3 Ingredients Sysmash Brew Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmasbender

Reaction score
anhc_sysmash.gif

These days everywhere you look you see the uber-complex pushing the envelope type brew. Im talking imperial black rye sour cherry saison kinda thing. Well for this homebrew comp were going to buck the trend and show that keeping it simple can be delicious too.

3 ingridents Single Yeast, Single Malt AND Single Hop.

Whats that, a bit dry you say ok, you can use water too.. :D

As this competition is for Club Night we want all clubs to brew this one as a club. So get your club together, brainstorm over a recipe or have an ingredients lucky dip. Then brew it together as a club. Present it at Club Night and the winning club gets muchos kudos and whopping great prize the whole club can enjoy*. So at your next club meeting get the thinking caps on for this most awesome SYSMASH comp!

Voting will be by peoples choice at Club Night. Each person will have one vote and no, you cant vote for your own club to sway the numbers (I'm looking at you Melbourne Brewers!)

Rules: only one variety of hop/malt/yeast to be used in this brew. No other adjuncts/fermentables/spices etc. water treatment, yeast starters, hopbacks etc all permitted. You get the picture, right?

Any questions email [email protected] or reply to this thread

Good luck and may the tastiest club win :icon_cheers:

*(whopping great prize TBC - yes, our crack team of prizeologists are busy working on these too :D ).

first update on this comp - only one entry per club (thanks canberra brewers for asking this)

I object to these club based competitions with your so called "wonderful prizes" - it unfairly discriminates against my club!

I mean.... ICB doesn't even have clubrooms! - where the hell are we meant to put all this stuff after we win it?

:p

I object to these club based competitions with your so called "wonderful prizes" - it unfairly discriminates against my club!

I mean.... ICB doesn't even have clubrooms! - where the hell are we meant to put all this stuff after we win it?

:p
Thirsty...you could always stick it up your....
Oh and Westagtebrewers have some club rooms we could sub let you...
Oh..and don't count your chickens...maybe one of us more Inclusive clubs might win this year lol

According to Wiki a 'club' involves '2 or more people'.
Me, myself and I does not usually count as more than one person.

a club is also what you use to beat baby fur seals to death with - ICB is more that kind of club.... :wacko:

271516632_JZvmU-M.jpg

except this one.... this one seems to have died of natural causes, or could be just asleep.

ok i've done my first sysmash brew. kegging it tonight in time for my son's birthday party on saturday. 4 year olds are the best little test dummies :chug:

Out of interest, does the single yeast provision exclude commercial blends, or just blend @ brewery situations where you'd use a yeast and something like brett?

In other words, are the likes of these yeasts allowed:

WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend
WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend
WLP630 Berliner Weisser Blend

well, I'm not the arbiter of the rules - but to my mind its pretty easy. Single meaning, well.... single.

So just the one yeast - you want brett, you have to use ALL brett, you want lacto then nothin but lacto is your lot. A commercial blend is still a blend of more than one yeast, its just that someone else mixed it for you instead of you having to do it yourself.

For mine, single yeast means that just the one thing ferments your beer - no letting wild yeast fall into it from the sky unless thats ALL you do, no throwing in a handfull of grains knowing full well they are covered with lacto bugs, no pitching the dregs of a bottle of lambic or Orval when you know perfectly well that there is more than one strain of stuff in there.

Like i said, I'm not making up the rules - but thats how it would be if I were. Sysmash is about simple beers, i think the simplest interpretation of the the "rules" is probably the right one to go with

affirmative thirsty. single means single. no pre-packaged menage-a-trois of yeasts. no yeast orgies. just the solo yeast. the loner yeast. party for one. nigel-yeast no mates.... and so on....

but thanks to you mr. no-tip for asking this question so we could clarify for all.

cheers!

Latest posts

Back