Anchor Steam Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I was just reading the article on Californian Common beer on the CRAFT BREWERS web site and was wondering if you can buy this stuff, or similar in Aust?
Also does anyone make a dump n stir in this style?

Dump and stir i take you mean a kitchen sink extract brew right?

Anyway as deebee's thread says attenuation is a big problem with all malt extract brews.
As is a steam beer uses a light pilsner type malt i believe, which should have good atenuation.
Giving that, it then uses around 500g of 110ebc crytsal so that leaves a higher final gravity and deep copper colour.

For such a beer i believe you can use a number of hops but the anchor type is all northern brewer.
The main factor to this beer is the use of a very popular yeast wyeast 2112 califorian lager.
which too me makes a nice pale ale also or is that pale 'L'ale.

Basically the recipes for such a beer are very simple.
One of the best beers i have made used this type of recipe but with half the crystal malt and a little cascade as well.

Cheers Jayse

jayse said:
as deebee's thread says attenuation is a big problem with all malt extract brews.
As one person has had bad attenuation, all extract brews have bad attenuation? No.
You can't draw huge conclusions like that from deebee's experience.

As you know, I partial mash and put on the occasional all-extract house bitter. The ONLY times I've had higher than expected FG is when I've stuffed up the mash temps in partials or used too much crystal. My house bitters' gravities are typically:
OG 1.048 - FG 1.012
which is 74% apparent attenuation. I'm fine with that.

Sorry to put your thread off-topic SJW, just had to pull in a runaway generalisation ;)

1g

hehehehehe not a fan of the crystal, except crystal wheat that does not have the cloying of normal crystal wheat

since crystal has lots of non fermentable dextrines and glucosamines it will boost FG. Try using just Thomas Fawcett caramalt, with a bit of cararoma if coloring is needed

Jovial Monk

Sorry PM your right of course my statement was that of the blanket type.
Actaully from what i have read and discovered is coopers has the best attenuation out of most extracts made so don't be put of my generalized blanket statement guys.

Cheers Jayse

Back on the subject of Steam Beers

I have never tried a commercial steam beer but , I did brew the AG recipe from Palmers book for interest.

I was a nice brew , may do it again

Latest posts

Back