Anchor Steam beer in Brisbane area?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased 2 bottles of Anchor Steam from Goodwood cellars and 2 bottles of Anchor Liberty from Slowbeer and all were in great condition.

The Steam is a unique and tasty beer that certainly did live up to the hype for me. I also enjoyed the 100% cascade hopping in the Liberty.

Maybe rather than the travel from the US being the problem it is the handling at each individual shop that is the problem !

I think with a lot of beers that people find don't live up to their hype (SNPA is a good example) isn't a handling issue - it's that homebrewers conditioned to putting 100g of hops in at flameout are really saying, "My beer is more flavoursome", and they're completely right.

But these beers are iconic because they were different to the masses before the craftbrewing revolution. They became iconic because at the time there weren't a thousand IPAs, there was just Bud and Miller and Coors - so they stood out.

Now, they're actually pretty average. But in a good way.

Trouble is nobody in Australia knows how good or bad these famous yank beers are, unless they've actually traveled to the breweries.

slash22000 said:
Trouble is nobody in Australia knows how good or bad these famous yank beers are, unless they've actually traveled to the breweries.
I've had most of the Sierra Nevada beers in America and here.

Only once did I get a Torpedo at Dans that wasn't "all there". Rest were bang on.

You're always going to get people who say, "It's much better in _insert country here_" but what they're really saying is, "I went to _insert country here_ and went to the brewery, so I'm awesome."

I'm not saying there aren't mishandled beers here, but the reason many iconic beers don't wow people is because they are not iconic for their HUGE TASTE. People don't seem to realise this.

Anchor Steam is a great example of this. Google a clone recipe of it - it's just a plain beer with some Northern Brewer in it and a lagerish yeast used warm. Bloody should be average!

ABC, thanks for letting me know about Craft. I will give them a ring in the near future.

King Brown, I live near Boonah which is about 45km SW of Ipswich. Brisbane is about a 70 - 90 min drive depending on traffic. I get there about once a month but I probably won't get there for another week or two. Next time I'm in West End I may drop in to archive (as long as I don't have to drive home).

Nick JD, I agree with most of your comments. Anchor Steam is not a big beer by any means. One of the reasons I want to get my hands on some is because SWMBO really likes it. She reckons the trip to Anchor Brewery was the highlight of our trip to the States - even more than the shopping in New York. Incredible but true. I think she was expecting something boring but ended up really enjoying herself and walking out pissed, all for free. When we went to pubs in San Francisco she would only order the Steam beer on tap.

While not specifically limited to beer, I have found the setting/circumstances etc play a big part in this. My mrs loves Anchor Steam beer because of the setting we were in. American restaurant, shitload of ribs (and cornbread), ice cold beer and over looking Golden Gate Park. I remember the beer being awesome too. It may not have been my first of the day (and she was happy which is always a plus) so I know exactly what you are talking about. Right place right time. Hard to capture that moment in a glass...

You're always going to get people who say, "It's much better in _insert country here_" but what they're really saying is, "I went to _insert country here_ and went to the brewery, so I'm awesome."

A bit o f a generalisation there, Nick. I really enjoyed having a few Anchor Steams in SF but I didn't think I was awesome

Cheers

TBird said:

A bit o f a generalisation there, Nick. I really enjoyed having a few Anchor Steams in SF but I didn't think I was awesome

Cheers
So you went to SF and drank Anchor? That's awesome.

Thanks for proving my point.

Nick JD said:
So you went to SF and drank Anchor? That's awesome.

Thanks for proving my point.
So, what should I have drank, Fosters?

Trouble is nobody in Australia knows how good or bad these famous yank
beers are, unless they've actually traveled to the breweries.
I thought Sierra Navada Pale Ale was pretty darn good out of the bright tank, Celebration IPA was pretty alright too :)

browndog said:
I thought Sierra Navada Pale Ale was pretty darn good out of the bright tank, Celebration IPA was pretty alright too :)
And thus - the song remains the same...

Back