Anawbs - The Oldest National Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
The Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show (ANAWBS) is back, in a new improved form.
Now in its 26th year ANAWBS lays claim to being the longest continually running national amateur beer comp in the country.

This year the competition has been substantially reviewed and overhauled:
Classes have now been divided according to geographical regions, and selected styles representing these regions have been chosen for this years competion.
Detailed style guidelines, together with entry forms are available at the new AWNABS web site - www.anawbs.org.au.

As has already been announced, the Mash Paddle, Australia's premier all grain competition is incorporated in this year's ANAWBS.
There is also now a dedicated class for kit based beers.
The remaining 11 classess are open to amateur brewers of all types.
Steve Nicholls (Chiller) has agreed to chair the judging panel.

The ANAWBS presentation will be held at the Regency College of TAFE in Adelaide on Sunday October 16, with beers being judged on Friday 7 and Sunday 9 October, closing date for entries is 1 October 2005.

Happy brewing!

What does that mean "has agreed to chair the judging panel"? Is that just for the Mash Paddle?

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
What does that mean "has agreed to chair the judging panel"? Is that just for the Mash Paddle?

Jovial Monk
[post="63076"][/post]​

It means the anawbs committee invited Steve to chair the judging panel, and Steve accepted.

forgive my ignorance stu but do you have had to place in a comp during the year to enter or otherwise.a posting on grumpys forum has me somewhat confused.

cheers
big d

big d said:
forgive my ignorance stu but do you have had to place in a comp during the year to enter or otherwise.a posting on grumpys forum has me somewhat confused.

cheers
big d
[post="63084"][/post]​

Hi Dave,

I think Stu is off for the weekend with a school camp.

You enter the competition based on one of the sections you choose and don't need a pre qualifying beer in another comp.

The Anawbs competition is strictly national with all entries judged against guidlines and of course peer brewers from all states of Australia..

I look forward to this year's comp as it promises a very high standard.

Thanks for the question

Steve.

I haven't quite left yet, but thanks anyway chiller, you are spot on.

ANAWBS is a nationally open comp, no pre qualifying. If your beer fits one of the categories, please entrer. You can be confident your entry will be being pitted against like styled beers and judged against consistent guidelines.

Should be a very good comp this year.

now, I do have go and join the cubs in the rain :blink:

I should have two or three for entry, stu. Just for you :D

I think I need to sort out a few Tallies and bottle a few every time I keg. I have had the intention to enter some of my beers into comps but always end up finishing the keg before I bottle any :chug:
Hopefully I can get a few beers into the State and National comps.

Hoops

I've had a question about bottles for ANAWBS.
Specifically are PET bottles acceptable?

The answer is yes.
As has already been explained elsewhere, Mash Paddle entries require two brown pet bottles to be entered.

For the rest of the classes we require one standard 750ml or two 375ml bottles. The brown pet bottles fit this (even if they are technically 740ml bottles).
In fact, if you are entering from interstate the brown pet bottles may well be the way to go as they will reduce your transport costs.

We will also accept entries in 750ml champagne bottles, if that is what takes your fancy.

Some homebrew shops now sell cleanskin longneck brownies which hold 640ml. If these are what you use, then these too will be acceptable.

Remember, it's all about the beer!

Kai, Hoops - bring them on!

Stu,

I've looked over the guidelines and I have a question; what if I wanted to enter an american brown or amber ale? There doesn't appear to be a category that fits those, as far as I can see.

Kai said:
Stu,

I've looked over the guidelines and I have a question; what if I wanted to enter an american brown or amber ale? There doesn't appear to be a category that fits those, as far as I can see.
[post="63566"][/post]​

You're right Kai there aren't specific categories for those styles.

In past years ANAWBS has been heavily criticised for two things:
1) Lacking guidelines
2) Having inconsistent and disparate classes

In streamlining the comp this year the committee made conscious decisions to pare down the number of beer styles in competition and beef up the guidelines. The intention is to have classes where entrants can be confident that if they enter a beer it will be judged against like styled beers and against consistent guidelines.

This means that not every beer style is catered for in the comp - deliberately so, but we hope that the classes we do have will be filled with some excellent representatives of their style.

At the end of this year's comp we will review the classes again. We intend to announce next year's classes a month or two after this year's judging is complete, giving much more notice for people who may choose to brew specifically for the competition.

We welcome feedback, and suggestions for classes in future years. This year's styles are, however, as posted on the web site.

This year, in the American category, we deliberately chose the American Pale Ale style because of its overwhelming popularity in the homebrewing community, because it is a style brewed with passion by kit based and all grain brewers alike, and because it is a style that has commercial examples in Australia and can therefore be easily recognised by brewers and judges alike.

Kai,
I haven't read the classes myself but as with most HB comps I have been involved with you should be able to enter your american browns in the "Specialty class"
BTW American pale ales can be quite dark so it may sneak in as apa

I did contemplate that, Darren, but we're looking at a very brown beer here. It might have a bit too much chocolate to slip in even for the APA category.

Kai said:
I did contemplate that, Darren, but we're looking at a very brown beer here. It might have a bit too much chocolate to slip in even for the APA category.
[post="63655"][/post]​

Could add some bleach too it :D
(sorry, poor joke)

Back