Anawbs Raises the Bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmush

Reaction score
So you entered your usual four or five 'supposed' top class beers in Anawbs this year, but came away disappointed that your medal haul was not as high as in previous years...happened to me too!! :unsure: A quick comparison with previous years' results showed why...the threshold for receiving bronze and silver medals has been raised for this year's comp. Last year a score of 30 to 37.9 out of a possible fifty attracted a bronze medal and 38 to 44.9 a silver medal. For this year a score of 35 to 39.9 out of 50 was required to receive a bronze medal and 40 to 44.9 for a silver. The threshold for the very rarely awarded gold medal remained the same at 45 plus.

I just wondered what the reasoning was behind the change. The medals are pretty neat with your name and the beer class engraved on the reverse...could it be that the cost of producing the medals has become too prohibitive? Or is it, that the quality of beers being entered into this comp are being judged as so good that there are too many entrants achieving the 'very good' standard?

None the less a great, well organised competition, with great feedback from the judges.

Cheers
Geoff :rolleyes:

I walked away with more medals than the number of beers entered so can't complain. I am not sure on the reasoning for the change, but to me a score of 30 points was too low to deserve a medal. It is a well organised and run event and I agree the medals look great with your name on them.

Something like this happened with QABC this year as well. It seems in previous years the higher cut offs have been used for medals. When results were initially released this year lower cutoffs were used resulting in people thinking they had a certain amount of medals. After the change in cutoffs was realised, medals were re-awarded using the higher cutoffs. This was only rectifying the situation to what it should have been but does take the shine of your results a little. Also a well run comptetion and much thanks needs to go to organisers, judges and other volunteers.

Perhaps the increase cutoff for Anawbs was to bring the medals into line with other comps in other states. Probably good to have consistency from state to state and year to year.

Latest posts

Back