Anawbs 2012 And Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

np1962

It's all about the Beer
Reaction score
I have no affiliation with ANAWBS but I am a South Aussie and this is a SA based comp.
Out of curiousity more than anything I went looking to see what the Mash Paddle for this year was.
As of last week there was nothing so I emailed and to this time I have had no reply.
I see that 3 of the beers focussed members of the Adelaide club are no longer involved so without them perhaps the beer side has slipped behind the wine.

Anyway, on checking their site this morning the following has appeared.

Latest News

Mash Paddle 2012
Posted on: 29 May 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mash Paddle style this year is Foreign Extra Stout (BJCP 2008 style designation 13D).
Foreign Extra Stout is a popular style and should attract a larger number of entries!

Competition 2012
Posted on: 3 April 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entries close on -
Thursday 30 August (Delivery to depots for interstate entries)
Monday 10 September (SA entries)

Beer Judging:
Friday 14 September & Saturday 15 September

Wine Judging:
Tuesday 18 September & Wednesday 19 September

Presentation Day
Sunday 23 September (Charles Hawker Lecture Theatre, Waite Campus)

As it says, a very popular style...not sure I can brew, ferment and condition one to win a medal in 3 months though.

http://www.anawbs.org.au/

I have also been checking it regularly, thanks for the post. I have made every other stout but the Foreign Extra,was hoping it would be Russian Imperial. Time to start brewing!
:icon_cheers:

Great news.Time to get brewing a few more styles.

Cheers
Dave

:(

My FE Stout went on the lawn, was hoping for a dry-ish 1.014-1.016 finish for it and could not get it below 1.020 regardless of what I did (warming, agitating, extra yeast etc etc etc), great flavour, just too sweet for me by far, no other faults at all, just not my cuppa.

Always hard to ditch a brew after so many hours working with it, but I needed the fermenter. Oh well, next year.

Results are up.

Great presentation day yesterday - some superb wines sampled after the award ceremony.

Many thanks to all the sponsors, and congratulations to all the winners including:

Barry Cranston - Best Beer
Geoff Martin - Best Kit Beer
Peter Bradshaw - Mash Paddle (FEStout)
Jared Birbeck - Most Successful brewer

http://www.anawbs.org.au/results/2012results.pdf

Received the score sheets a few days ago and found the feedback very useful.
Today the trophies were delivered, the BOS trophy is so elegant even my wife liked it, she is usually fairly indifferent to home brew related things.
So a big thank you to the organisers, judges, stewards and sponsors. Your time, effort and involvement is very much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

PS When the regular post arrived the IPA book by Mitch Steel that I ordered was in the letter box.
Went to the home brew store and the latest Brew Your Own magazine had just arrived (with an article on special IPA's).

A great home brew day.

I received my trophy for the Best Kit Beer in Show yesterday and I must say I too found it to be elegant...yes even my good lady liked it. The trophy will now have pride of place next to my kegerator. I would also like to thank everyone involved in the competition. The judging sheets are very valuable and I must say that as a humble kit beer brewer it was great to be able to hold my own against some of the top flight all grain mash guys...

Cheers
Geoff :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back