Anawbs 2006 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to every one who did well in the comp! Especially Barry who was the only gold medal winner of the comp.

and cheers! looks like i only won the mash paddle by a hair. Must have been a tough one to judge!

I tihnk not judging franks labels is wrong. The people that design labels are usually not the ones that design the beers and vice versa. Perhaps next year if you dont enter beers you could do some one elses labels?

edit: Cheers also to frank (mashmaster) for sponsoring the mash paddle, seemed to bring out mroe competition and push eveyr one (including myself) a bit harder for the mash paddle.

OMG - it just gets worse - apparently the label competition is free too!

Labels
The free label competion for both wine and beer labels will continue this year with trophies and certificates for First, Second and Third.

How does it being free make it worse? I'm sure that if franko has a real beef he'll sort it out with the anawbs organisers, it looks to me like you're trying to make a one-person dogpile here.

Kai, I'm by no way trying to lead a crusade. Well, perhaps a little bit...... Franko paid for his entries, so that's why.

Just not happy with double standards. Must be a female thing.

Kai, I'm by no way trying to lead a crusade. Well, perhaps a little bit...... Franko paid for his entries, so that's why.

Just not happy with double standards. Must be a female thing.

Okay, fair enough... I have no idea what franko has and hasn't paid for. I haven't had anything to do with the label side but I have seen the time and effort that people have put into the beer side and the wine as well over the last couple weeks, so maybe I'm a little over sensitive right now about any crusades. I never was a religous person anyway.

Just back from 2 rather alcoholic days in Adelaide.. Thanks to everyone that caught up & a special thanks to Kai, for running me around & getting me back to the airport...

Congratulations to all the place getters & a special well done to Mudsta, who not only took out best brewer, but won wine & cider classes as well, scoring gold with his Cider. He is turning his passion into a business as well, Yorke Brewing - Best of luck with it mate :beer:

Cheers Ross

Let me offer my congratrulations to all the place getters as well :super:

A well run comp. as always,I won't get in to Franko's label debate to much here..but perhaps the rules for this part of the comp. need to be clarified a little.I am sure the label part was originally just a fun, no hassle event,with the labels being turned out by Franko and others perhaps it has become a more serious section.

Thanks again to the organanizers and wee stu for all the postings to keep us up to date with the event.

Batz

I won't get in to Franko's label debate to much here..but perhaps the rules for this part of the comp. need to be clarified a little.I am sure the label part was originally just a fun, no hassle event,with the labels being turned out by Franko and others perhaps it has become a more serious section.

Amen to that!

A couple of points from me.

Firstly, I was not involved in any way, shape or form with the label competition judging or any decisions relating to it. Accordingly, I can't provide a detailed explanation of any decisions made. I understand that Franko is being written to and that this letter will go out as part of the general mailout ouf results sheets, prizes and trophies which will happen progressively over this week. I would recommend that people refrain from posting comments - at least until Franko hears what the decision makers have to say.

Secondly, lets not forget that this is primarily a national Wine and Beer Show. The label competition, dear to the hearts of many though it may now be, is utimately a complementary event. It originated as a free add on to registered entrants in the main competitions. It would be a tragedy to see all the positives and goodwill built up in recent years for the main event being undermined by peripheral issues. This is by no means meant to trivialise tha label comp, but to put it into its proper perspective within the overal compass of the show.

I have to go to work now, where my AHB access is currently restricted.

I'll see you again after the nine to five is over.

Nice, put my beers in the right categories this time, not what I thought I made but what the finished product actually turned out like, and got placings! I'm not a crap brewer after all :)

My beers of late have been beating me almost to the point of submission. Gives me new hope to see that at least some of my previous brews made it onto the scorecard.

Nice, put my beers in the right categories this time, not what I thought I made but what the finished product actually turned out like, and got placings! I'm not a crap brewer after all :)

That's the trick mikem. Only enter what the final product turns out to be. Don't ever think you're a crap brewer - if you like what you've made then thats all that matters. Congrats on the places too! :beer:

Let's face it winemakers have been getting away with it since the year dot with the label blurbs about what's in the bottle. I bet that they ferment the juice and a year or so later they go "Oh this tastes like this or this, and maybe if I blend a bit of this in it will taste like that.....etc etc" :ph34r:

Congrats to all the winners and to the organisers of the ANAWBS comp. I don't envy their jobs when they said one of the wine classes had 77 entries - what a headache!!

At risk of opening the label can of worms

Isn't Batz's label a Franko creation?

Congratulations Franko

Cheers

At risk of opening the label can of worms

Isn't Batz's label a Franko creation?

Congratulations Franko

Cheers

Yes it is,and it was entered by Franko along with 5 others of his creations

Enough about labels now

Batz

I am about to psot up my mash paddle porter recipe on here. I wont be scaling it like i do with my other beers i have put up there. This was one of the last beers I brewed with my very simple small system.

It would be good if every one that had well placing beers put their best recipe up on here, no point keeping them to yourself.

Ash

Congrats Ash on the mash paddle and all others.

Ge i wish i had of got mine away.

Oh well.... next year.

I entered it into the NSW state champs so if it goes well there i will be happy.

cheers

I am about to psot up my mash paddle porter recipe on here. I wont be scaling it like i do with my other beers i have put up there. This was one of the last beers I brewed with my very simple small system.
Ash

Well done Ash, interesting recipe, great to see a robust porter with no black malt doing so well.

Thanks mate.
I used pale choc and carafa II for my dark malts because the pale choc gives a coffee/choc flavour without being to oharsh and the carafa is de-husked so it makes it gives the darkness and roastiness again, without the harsh flavours which i thioguht would be out of place in a good porter. the amber and crystal were to sweeten it a little and give a ful spectrum of malt flavour. ale-munich-crystal-amber-pale choc-carafa gave good malt complexity which is what i wanted. Hops were mostly for bittering with some subtl flavour to make it a little different and more interesing.

The grainbill really looks the goods Ash. :super: Good to see some of my fave ingredients namely Amber malt and Pale Choc in there. :rolleyes:

As GL stated and I've found myself. My best Porters seem to be the ones without any RB or Black Malt.

Well done on the first place Ash. :)

Edit: Well done to the place getters as well... For those who didn't better luck next year. For those who didn't get what they wanted... Build a bridge and get over it. :blink:

Warren -

<abbrev>
Well done on the first place Ash. :)

Edit: Well done to the place getters as well... For those who didn't better luck next year. For those who didn't get what they wanted... Build a bridge and get over it. :blink:

Warren -
</abbrev>
I second that..."Buy a fridge and get into it". :lol:

Well done to all who entered, and I'd love to see people doing the same as Ash and posting the recipes.
That'll give us all a "proven" recipe to (try to) brew...and taste!

Looking forward to the NSW comp this weekend.

Beerz
Seth :p

Back