Analogue Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i have one of these analogue thermostats, pictured.

i have connected it to a light globe holder and put the light globe in my fermentation fridge.

now it seems to have a problem turning on the light in the fridge to the desired setting. 18 deg i have it set to.

it seems to be able to turn the light on but only corresponds to the 14 deg in the fridge, in other words it looks like as the fridge thermometer is showing 14 deg it will only activate the light at 14 deg or lower.

this looks like the controller only wants to make the fridge cooler but wont switch the light on to make it warmer.
hope this makes sense.

anyone using one of these for controlling heat settings.

fergi

thermo_fridge.jpg

i have one of these analogue thermostats, pictured.

i have connected it to a light globe holder and put the light globe in my fermentation fridge.

now it seems to have a problem turning on the light in the fridge to the desired setting. 18 deg i have it set to.

it seems to be able to turn the light on but only corresponds to the 14 deg in the fridge, in other words it looks like as the fridge thermometer is showing 14 deg it will only activate the light at 14 deg or lower.

this looks like the controller only wants to make the fridge cooler but wont switch the light on to make it warmer.
hope this makes sense.

anyone using one of these for controlling heat settings.

fergi

I think those controllers are designed as one type for heat and another type for cold.
In other words you have probably got the cold type control.
You would have to have two controllers to achieve what you want to achieve.
Back prior to Fridgemate / Tempmate / Stc1000 etc I fiddled around with these controllers and found that they were only just ok for temp control for fermentation by controlling a fridge OR a heat source and there was one type that you could change from cool to heat with some tricky wiring modifications internally however because they have an hysterisis (sp) of 5 deg c or there abouts they were more suited for temp control on a lizard / snake tank than beer fermentation.
If the one you have is in fact a heating controller then I would put you heat light globe in a box or cupboard and turn it on and with an accurate thermometer just check the true temp at which it is switching on and off.
Sorry if I raved on a bit but they are only just a controller and that is all.

Cheers

I think those controllers are designed as one type for heat and another type for cold.
In other words you have probably got the cold type control.
You would have to have two controllers to achieve what you want to achieve.
Back prior to Fridgemate / Tempmate / Stc1000 etc I fiddled around with these controllers and found that they were only just ok for temp control for fermentation by controlling a fridge OR a heat source and there was one type that you could change from cool to heat with some tricky wiring modifications internally however because they have an hysterisis (sp) of 5 deg c or there abouts they were more suited for temp control on a lizard / snake tank than beer fermentation.
If the one you have is in fact a heating controller then I would put you heat light globe in a box or cupboard and turn it on and with an accurate thermometer just check the true temp at which it is switching on and off.
Sorry if I raved on a bit but they are only just a controller and that is all.

Cheers

Hi fergi

Go to this page from the G and G online shop and you will see the difference

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_30_34

Cheers

Back