An Alternative To Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
Is it possible after fermentation to stck the hole lot in a container, run it through secondary, wait a month or two and then bung it in the fridge and drink from it when you want? Would it lose gas? And if this is a stupid idea, how much would a kegging system set me back?

English ales would be ok served like that (Especially in winter)
Keg system would run at $300 upwards. (Kegging makes homebrewing bearable). Well worth the investment IMO.
cheers
Darren

Thanks, it probably seemed to good to be true! Might try the english ale though.

To answer your questions,

Yes, but it will probably be flat unless it's a well sealed container and there's sufficient fermentables to produce CO2.

If it wasn't sealed well, yes.

Yes it is :p but kegging is great.

Seriously, if you are considering kegging, and have the fridge/space/permission then go for it. It's so much nicer just to get and get a beer with just a flick of the wrist. No more bottles to clean, store etc (although you can/should always bottle a few of your better beers to share or take to the mates).

Have a look at a few of the HBS in your area, most of them either supply or can point you to a good supplier of kegging systems.

Trev
(about to go out and pour another glass form the serving fridge)

2 litre coke bottles can reduce the amount of bottles you need to fill by about 1/3.
just a suggestion

I drink a fair chunk of some of my beers from the secondary.

I drink directly from an opened can of wort.. mmm mmm!! :D

SDB this is what you want they use them a lot in the UK it is called a 'Beersphere' from what I remember after primary they placed in the beersphere with priming sugar and allowed to carbonate ,worked quite well too.
just pour off what you require carbonated naturally.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item354.htm

pumpy

I have been bottling for ears and have just sterted kegging.

I have foung that a keg beer is ready to drink in 3 to 5 days (equivilent to a 3 week ond bottle) A 2 to 3 week old keg is as good as a 3 month ond bottle

i got told this for a while and didnt believe it till i experienced it.

get a keg. or 4

cheers.

Back