Amount of trub in secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris79

Reaction score
Hey all,

I normally brew Biab. But needed a simpler brew with one of my kids home with on school hols on my usual brew day.

So I brewed a Mangrove Jacks Craft pouch series. Did their Munich Helles. After fermentation was complete, I transferred it to a second fermenter (was at around 0-2 in my Kegerator) for bulk priming later today.

From memory I have less trub etc in secondary from when I Biab.

Is this just a normal amount of trub from an extract style of beer in secondary ?

Cheers
Chris

IMG_5872.jpg

Will depend on the yeast you are using and how much yeast was in suspension, using s-04 I get very little yeast in the secondary, when it hits the bottom of the primary it seems to stick there.

I used the yeast that came with it. That was M54 (rehydrated). After close to two days, it didn’t have any visuals that fermentation had started. So I added a coopers yeast (from the euro lager can). Which I rehydrated.

So more to do with the yeast, and how well it has settled out?

I'd say you'd get more trub from biab because you get hot and cold break material as well as yeast. Depends how much you leave behind in the boiler but I'd say the big brewery doing a huge batch would be transferring pretty clear wort to the can.

I used the yeast that came with it. That was M54 (rehydrated). After close to two days, it didn’t have any visuals that fermentation had started. So I added a coopers yeast (from the euro lager can). Which I rehydrated.

So more to do with the yeast, and how well it has settled out?
You have an average looking secondary trub, as Coodgee said you will get more in the primary (from mainly cold break)with your brew in a bag, but your secondary is looking good. Yeast does play an important role on how it settles out, I am probably bias to so4 but for me when using it and transferring to secondary my biggest concern is there enough yeast in there to finish the job, which of course there is.

Ok, cool thanks guys. So this is more so yeast, than trub?

WEAL, do you mean an average amount of trub?

I’m going to pay attention to the amount of trub from my biab next Wed.

Latest posts

Back