Amount of Hops for Keg Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marc e said:
Yeah i know carniebrew, i did the calcs also and knew it was way down on bitterness. To be honest I wanted to try a toned down beer, something refreshing after a hot day. The last few have been a bit over the top flavour wise.

But alas, I must be a hop junkie as this one doesn't do it for me. But hopefully the keg hopping will bring it back to life a bit. I'll know for next time.
Yeah, it's the combination of yeast type, IBU and ABV that's hurting your beer here. You could get away with a 6%, 18 IBU beer if it was a weizen with something like 3068, as the yeast will dominate the flavour. But US-05 is so neutral, the malt is just completely overpowering the hop bitterness. If you were after a toned down lawnmower beer/quaffer, but still wanted it up around 6% abv, you probably should've aimed for about 30 IBU as a minimum. Or brew a Kolsch!

lukiferj said:
Fair call. Do you naturally carbonate or leave them uncarbonated until you're ready to chill them?
Normally chill then force carb, only have 2 taps on kegerator so have space to chill a spare to carb luckily.

OzPaleAle said:
Normally chill then force carb, only have 2 taps on kegerator so have space to chill a spare to carb luckily.
Ok, thanks man. I have never thought about storing fermented wort in a keg before but I can fit 6 in my keezer. Looking at possibly storing some sour/bug type beers for extended periods though at room temps.

Latest posts

Back