Amicon Corporation keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Scored a freebie today - strange looking posts, not sure what to do with it?.

wp_ss_20170824_0001.png

More details on the base, googled it and it looks like the company still exists.

wp_ss_20170824_0002.png

Last edited:
Almost looks like an air fitting on 1 side and a compression fitting on the other.

Bloke I got it from said it was used 15 years ago to spray bio-pesticides (e.g. Milk) on fruit trees.. Like an old fashioned pump spray pack.

If I can swap out the posts for ball locks it might work well as a beer keg (looks about 12 L)

Last edited:
No idea, I do have an old rheeme ~10l keg that was re-purposed as a compressor expansion tank. Handy for topping up the tyres on the cars that are out the front.
I wouldnt even think of trying to convert it back.

I'll check what the threads are and do a bit of googling to see if I can find parts.

Interesting bit of gear but if it's going to cost more than a new keg .. it might just be used as a spare fermentation chamber ..

Edit: After a very good clean out!

Looks like it may convert to a horizontal stillage real ale cask easily. What size is the thread that is blanked off would it take a plastic cube/fermenter tap? If so vent through the compression fitting?

The "in and out" threads seem about 8mm or 5/16 ... much smaller than the ball lock fittings on my kegking kegs.

wp_ss_20170827_0001.png

The big blanked off port is a full inch.

I saw 4 of these on line for sale a little while back. I posted in the ebay thread i think.

Cool, I wonder who picked them up?

I think this ball lock post from ibrew designed for a bulkhead will work, preferably using a 1/4 inch to 5/16 female thread connector (does such a thing exist?) and using existing port to save drilling new holes.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/ball-lock-post-with-bulkhead

Alternatively I could attach the ball lock via a hose to the existing threaded port - using two hose barbs with appropriate threads. ..

Either way I should get it running for around $50 (I think these kegs retailed for over $200) so that's a win.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back