American Red

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefin

Reaction score
Hi All

After a bit of help with an American Red Ale, looking for big hop aroma and flavor. Want to introduce my Old Man to the world of hop's but want to avoid big bitterness as he's not a fan.

Have based the hop schedule below loosely on the Mr Malty article on hop aroma/flavor. I've never tried this hop combo/technique so any help/tips would be appreciated.

Recipe is based from what I have on hand, batch size 28L.

American Red (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.21 %
Colour (SRM): 18.0 (EBC): 35.5
Bitterness (IBU): 39.1 (Average)

72.46% Pilsner
14.49% Wheat Malt
7.25% Crystal Medium
4.35% Amber Malt
1.45% Black Malt - (Thomas Fawcett)

0.7 g/L Calypso (15.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Calypso (15.3% Alpha) @ 3 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Cascade (3% Alpha) @ 3 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Calypso (15.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I'm not concerned about brewing 100% to style, just want a nice hoppy & red beer.

Cheers Jefin

The recipe from Mr Malty is a fantastic recipe, I've made it a few times with good success. Ive mashed mine at 65°C and ferment at 18°C. And if your going for flavour and aroma maybe change you 3 min additions to .9 g/L and the final additions to 1 or 1.1 g/L.

Let us know how it goes.

Swap the black malt for a medium roasted barley.
I think perhaps that the ratio of IBU to GU is going to be a bit high for someone who doesn't like overly bitter beer.
Maybe try and bring it back to no more than 30IBU.
I did a couple of pale ales recently for my old man that were both 1055OG with 30IBU in one and 40 in the other and both with a similar schedule to yours. Not being a bitter beer lover, the 30IBU version was just right for him.

If dropping the black for a lighter roast, I'd almost be tempted to sub some of the medium xtal for some dark xtal, or even some caraaroma/spec b. The toffee/dried fruit flavour you get from malts goes real nicely in an AAA.

And +1 for getting a BU:GU more towards the 0.6 as opposed to 0.8 for an amber, especially for someone who doesn't like overly bitter beers.

EDIT: Just as I was about to edit, LRG chimed in with the suggestion about replacing the pils for something else like MO/GP. I will also +1 that..

I would probably replace Pilsener for a nice English Ale malt, such as Golden Promise. And any black malt for something like biscuit.

Only reason is, that I find Pils malt to hold onto the bitterness a little more than say an Ale malt. I'm assuming what you want is balance but hop salad.

Hop schedule looks fantastic. I'd be adding in Citra as well, but that's only personal preference. 39.1 IBU in all late additions is pretty much spot on. If it were sixty minutes, then it'd seem a lot more bitter (and given the brief, not what you want), but at 20 minutes down, excellent.

Thanks for the quick reply's guy's

Given the advice above have adjusted the recipe to the following

American Red (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 19.4 (EBC): 38.2
Bitterness (IBU): 31.5 (Average)

71.43% Maris Otter Malt
14.29% Wheat Malt
4.29% Amber Malt
4.29% Caraaroma
4.29% Crystal Medium - (Thomas Fawcett)
1.43% Roasted Barley

0.5 g/L Calypso (15.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Calypso (15.3% Alpha) @ 3 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (3% Alpha) @ 3 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Calypso (15.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Cascade (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

What are peoples thoughts on chucking in some galaxy for the 3m and 0m additions, Fruit Salad is exactly what I'm after!

Cheers Jefin

Thanks Lord Raja

I will chuck in a small galaxy addition at 10mins, unfortunately I have no Citra or Amarillo in stock at the moment.

Cheers Jefin

pressure_tested said:
Just curious about the galaxy at 10 minute point. Does anyone else share that view?
It's sort of "accepted wisdom" now - most brewers who are experienced with it have reported grassiness at dry hopping levels and astringency or harsh bitterness at earlier additions. Most will agree with 10-30 minutes as being generally ideal.

So, it's sort of agreed anecdote, though YMMV.

I have about a kg of it still in my freezer, still (it was lots more). So I've used it enough to garner that point of view.

IIRC, the stone and wood pacific ale clones have it as a later addition.

Maybe do a search and have a look at other's opinions - it'll help you decide.

I use galaxy all the time but always at whirlpool or dry.

I don't get much grassyness but I've never used it at 10 mins

I've used galaxy a few times now.
Once at 60, never again. As LRG said, harsh bitterness.
20, 10, 5 and 0 have all been good for me.
I have dry hopped with it, never more than 3 days, and really loved the aroma.
I don't get grass from it using it late but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I think that is an important point to make. Lots of things do or don't occur sometimes but this doesn't necessarily mean that it will always be the case.

This one went down last weekend, smelt fantastic during ferment. Just hope I don't loose too much hop aroma.

As it's for the old man I had to do a label :)

Sig.png

Thanks to all for the help & will report back on the results

Cheers Jefin

+1 to galaxy at 10 min.

I've found that this is galaxy's sweet spot as well. It's too much at 20, and to Getty that lovely passionfruit 10 min is great. That's about all I would use it for to bolster an apa our ipa personally. To many other hops to do better jobs at 60, 20, 5, 0 and dry.

My 2c.

pickaxe

Let us know the end result of this recipe. Sounds like something I might like.

How did it turn out Jefin? Did you end up using the galaxy or stick to your second recipe?

Hi Midnight

Yes I ended up sticking with the second recipe with a 15g addition of galaxy at 10 minutes also subbed half the wheat malt for rye malt (didn't have enough wheat in stock).

I plan to bottle this today. I like to give my brew's three to four week's in primary, gives them plenty of time to clean up.

I did have a hydro sample after two week's, the perceived bitterness was quite high but I find this in all of the brew's I make with heaps of hops late.

Will give you an update this arvo once I have another sample.

Cheers Jefin

Had a sample today

Still a bit of bitterness but once it's carbed and chilled it will be nice and smooth. Just need's some more time.

Will turn into a really good beer, very clean from the hydro sample just had a bitter twang (which I love!).

2014-01-11_16-16-21_739.jpg

Pressure is on with this brew, apparently a box is going back to the sunny coast for sampling with a few of the old man's mate's.

If they don't like it they can send it back :D

Will report back when drinking :chug:

Cheers and thanks for all the help

Jefin

I think your first post is one of the best hop combos I've seen. I'm going to try it. Malt bill for me would be....pearl ale malt, Munich 1, Vienna, wheat with a touch of caramunich 3.
Just a nice pale ale with a lot of character.

Latest posts

Back