American Looking For A Vb Or Tooheys Clone Recipie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msubrew

Reaction score
Howdy,
I spent about a year in Sydney and grew fond of VB while there. I cannot find a good extract or AG recipie anywhere in the states. Does anyone have a good one?
Thanks,
Thanks from the 49% of Homebreweres who did not vote for G.W.B.

msubrew said:
Howdy,
I spent about a year in Sydney and grew fond of VB while there. I cannot find a good extract or AG recipie anywhere in the states. Does anyone have a good one?
Thanks,
Thanks from the 49% of Homebreweres who did not vote for G.W.B.
Just make a kit using recycled sewage or dishwasher water instead of fresh water.
But look here:
http://www.brewcraft.com.au/wawcs019611/ln-beer-recipes.html

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_o...kit_recipes.htm

Try these for a start
Norm

It might be tricky without using the trademark Carlton yeast, but I'm sure you could get something similar.

EDIT: Looking at those links, it might be hard to get some of those ingredients.
If you have the all grain option, I'd probably go with about 2/3 pale ale malt and 1/3 lager malt, and add a bit of C40-60 for a bit of colour.
Haven' t had it for a while, thought Pride of Ringwood would be a good hop for it, but if the recipes say Cluster, I guess go for it.
White Labs Australian Ale yeast is the Coopers yeast, so you'll get a very different beer, but Muntons Gold might get you closer. Don't forget that Irish Moss either.
Good luck.

It might be worth including some sugar in the grist, too, to lighten the body. These beers have a very low finishing gravity, so this along with a highly attenuative yeast will help. Pride of Ringwood to a low bitterness, say somewhere either side of 20. You'll want the yeast to have a very clean fermentation profile, and mash at a low temp to help that low FG.

You can probably use the same recipe for both, I think the key to differentiate might be to splash the VB around a bit to get good mousy flavour, and make a Tooheys using a new plastic fermenter to get that fresh plastic taste.

Id definitely recommend using sugar. Im sure CUB does. I wouldve thought that VB was more bitter than 20 IBU, but Im not expert. Id say POR for bittering and maybe a little cluster for flavour.

morry said:
Id definitely recommend using sugar. Im sure CUB does. I wouldve thought that VB was more bitter than 20 IBU, but Im not expert. Id say POR for bittering and maybe a little cluster for flavour.
Yep, I think that's pretty well spot on, 25-30IBU is probably a good number, anybody want to guess the gravities?
1005-1008 finishing, at 4.9%ABV that's an SG around 1042-1045
Yeast, try Muntons Gold, but perhaps Nottingham will do it... or does somebody think this deserves a Superior Lager yeast?
You'll probably want to mash around 64-65-66C as Kai said, to get more fermentables and get it a bit drier.
I think that swishing it around just before you bottle is the best secret though. :p

well since most aussie homebrewers hate vb and a lot of beer drinkers i know hate it you may be better of to try and clone our better beers like lcpa,or james squires or mountain goat ,grand ridge beers

msubrew,
These beers are our Oz equivalent of your US horse urine.
I can imagine that U have capacity to brew a much better beer, unless you want something that your friends won't steal :lol:
Don't use an ale yeast, and You might get some hints at the CUB and Lion Nathan websites. You used to be able to make a brew at Lion Nathan. It was a game which required U to specify the right amount of grain and hops for a batch, ferment temp, days in primary, lager temp and maybe more (it's been a while).
Shame U didn't work in Adelaide or Perth. U might be asking for a West End bitter or an Emu bitter clone recipe. Big shame :p
I'm sure most Aussies (who know beer) would not touch a Tooheys or Carlton/VB clone.
Glad U didn't mention Fosters :lol:

Seth

This amazes me! You have access to some of the worlds best beers in the States. Why would you want to drink one of Australias worst?! :) I respect personal tastes, but please go out and pick yourself up a mixed case of any of the following beers:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopAmerican.asp

I recently had the pleasure of tasting Stone IPA, Three Floyds Alpha King, Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Victory Old Horizontal and New Glarus Belgian Red. All truely amazing beers produced in the US.

Even the beers available everywhere (Sierra Nevada, Anchor etc) are of a high quality.

Now now, lets not jump all over him already. I'm guessing by the name that he's still a University student, and how many of us drank the high quality stuff at school? (or had the money to do so)

The usual disclaimer: the pale lager style is somewhat more difficult to brew at home.

I thinnk the rest of the guys are right, a recipe for an american style "premium" lager with cane sugar substituted for the corn/rice should get you close. Use a hop with a little more "wild" characteristics than in the American recipes, Pride of Ringwood, although it might not be the exact hop used, will give it a distinctive taste (whether it is good or bad taste is up to you). Small flavor additions since there isnt much hop flavor in these brews.

Weizguy said:
msubrew,
These beers are our Oz equivalent of your US horse urine.
I can imagine that U have capacity to brew a much better beer, unless you want something that your friends won't steal :lol:
Don't use an ale yeast, and You might get some hints at the CUB and Lion Nathan websites. You used to be able to make a brew at Lion Nathan. It was a game which required U to specify the right amount of grain and hops for a batch, ferment temp, days in primary, lager temp and maybe more (it's been a while).
Shame U didn't work in Adelaide or Perth. U might be asking for a West End bitter or an Emu bitter clone recipe. Big shame :p
I'm sure most Aussies (who know beer) would not touch a Tooheys or Carlton/VB clone.
Glad U didn't mention Fosters :lol:

Seth
[post="44815"][/post]​

It's funny that probably most of us had VB/Fosters/XXXX when we were younger, or at least before we started brewing and thought well it's beer I'll drink it. I still drink the tap stuff at pubs etc when I go out but after tasting some proper homebrews made by those who know how to make a good one, you certainly can taste the difference. I had a Carlton Cold the other night and suprisingly the taste of piss wasnt too dissimilar! (not that I make a habit of comparing it). The commercial beers certainly have nothing on a good brew

Latest posts

Back