American IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" Further advice would be much appreciated."

Yep, dump all those hops in at the whirlpool.

Scotty

peterlonz said:
Sugar !!
Guys - since when has any good beer been based on a sugar addition.
Name me one commercial brewer that uses sugar.
The Germans & Belgians don't & never have.
IPA has a tradition & it does not involve sugar.
Wrong....even original British IPA brewers added sugar to cut (malted barley) costs!

OP is new to brewing. ///'s technique is likely a good one but it's not exactly beginner instructions. Actually kind of hard to understand what /// is saying, and I know what he/she is talking about.

Not to mention the talk of finishing at 1.018 - 1.020 ... What sort of IPA finishes at 1.020? Quadruple IPA?

/// said:
May have made an IPA or 2 in my time, with some silverware for the efforts at the Beer Awards.

7%, 70 BU is the standard. Last time I was at White Labs they commented how they ran 50 IA's thru the lab and 49 of them were in that range.

I'd cut out all those additions, at them all at the whirlpool. With that, bitter to about 50% of your target BU, dump in about 3-4 gms a litre at whirlpool (will get flavour and the remaining bitterness) and then dry hop to about the same amount.The late hops will give you approx 50% bitterness at those amounts. I have tested it in a spectrophotomer and the results reflect this.

With a high temp mash mine finishes off at about 1.018-1.020, with a small smattering of crystal. Using extract, just use 100% malt extract.
Not insanely complex - add half of your IBU at whirlpool (or flame out for an extract brewer), and if ' Using extract, just use 100% malt extract'.

peterlonz said:
Sugar !!
Bit more reading on Belgian brewing is required....

I think using a bit of sugar in an IPA to lighten the body and make the hops hit harder is a perfectly acceptable approach.

Jordyt01 said:
Light DME 2.5kg
Wheat DME 1.0kg
CaraRed 0.60 (steeped)
That looks like a CRAPLOAD of wheat! In my admittedly limited experience with Wheat DME more than 20% REALLY stands out, and 5 to 10 might be more what you're looking for, and you're up around 32%. Or maybe you're shooting for a WeiPA, a hefeweizen IPA?

HOWEVER, it'd be better for you to listen to someone with more experience than I! Can someone else weigh in on this?

Also maybe give the BrewStrong IPA podcast a listen. You can download it free from the Brewing Network or iTunes. This forum and those shows are the most helpful things for me.

The wheat DME is only 50% wheat, so that brings it down to 14% which isn't too bad.

There's no need for wheat in it though if you've got more LDME.

@mardoo was just going to use what I have

do you think the 1.0kg of wheat DME will have a massive effect on the flavor? or will it be fine to use

I was hoping to get a subtle wheat flavor @tiprya

cheers

peterlonz said:
Sugar !!
Hi peterlonz
Maybe you left your session unnattended and someone else wrote this?? (The Germans dont use it because theyre not allowed.)
If not, sugar has its place. Great for thinning body and maintaining alc %, which is why it is used in IPA's. There is a fair bit of caramel in a lot of them and if sugar was not used, it would be so cloying.
Another great example of sugar in an IPA is the one I'm brewing today ;)
All australian ingredients, including 1kg white sugar in 53L.

Jordyt01 said:
@mardoo was just going to use what I have

do you think the 1.0kg of wheat DME will have a massive effect on the flavor? or will it be fine to use

I was hoping to get a subtle wheat flavor @tiprya

cheers
It'll be fine, just use what you've got.

tiprya said:
The wheat DME is only 50% wheat, so that brings it down to 14% which isn't too bad.

There's no need for wheat in it though if you've got more LDME.
Depends on brand of wheat dme, eg Breiss is 65/35 and muntons is 55/45, so still a fair amount of wheat, the coopers liquid wheat malt is 50/50.

The 'Deliverance' one at TWOC says it's 50/50 and I thought they said they got there's from Briess and repackaged it?

slash22000 said:
OP is new to brewing. ///'s technique is likely a good one but it's not exactly beginner instructions. Actually kind of hard to understand what /// is saying, and I know what he/she is talking about.

Not to mention the talk of finishing at 1.018 - 1.020 ... What sort of IPA finishes at 1.020? Quadruple IPA?
Sarcasm button on, an IPA that finishes at 1.020 is a balanced one!

With the amount of hopping, having a beer that finished at 1.010 will be out of wack. As I eluded, I also do not use alot of crystal, and the Southern Cali versions I had last year did not either, a light dusting is all that is needed. For full grain brewing, munich is used alot as well.

So 50% of your BU's into your boil, 50% from the whirlpool step is the approach. You will get the bitterness if using any hops over 10% aa.

As an example, a light ale I make at 1.041 using topaz and galaxy, I bitter to 8 BU with the whirlpool of 10 minutes and a 45 min run-off gives an additional 17 BU's. I've ran these thru a spectro, so the numbers are right.

I am assuming the wort will be boiled?

use 1kg dex per 50L in extract AIPA's/ APA's, should finish around 1014 with 05. without the dex the body doesnt seem right

/// said:
So 50% of your BU's into your boil, 50% from the whirlpool step is the approach. You will get the bitterness if using any hops over 10% aa.

As an example, a light ale I make at 1.041 using topaz and galaxy, I bitter to 8 BU with the whirlpool of 10 minutes and a 45 min run-off gives an additional 17 BU's. I've ran these thru a spectro, so the numbers are right.
It's interesting to hear you say this Scotty as I've always suspected that my beersmith calculations for bitterness did not match up with the percieved bitterness and put it down to getting more IBU's out of the late additions than is conventionally accepted.

My method usually end up like this:
flameout followed by 10min for convection to settle down
whirlpool followed by 10-15min for whirlpool & cone to settle
runoff (usually no-chill) over 10-15min.
(if I'm organised, but usually the process takes longer as I'm easily distracted).

So the 0min hops end up being 40-50min additions. Explains why my galaxy pale ale with 50g of 14%AA at whirlpool punches me in the face when I drink it!

Is that the way you read it Scotty or is there something else at work here?

Sorry for dragging OT but it kinda relates to IPAs... :ph34r:

Yep Adrian, whatever the beer i get min 30% of BU's from the whirlpool. The lager we make has a shit ton of saaz and Hall. in the whirlpool, and it is a 30% contribution.

Most of the AIPA's I brew these days have (without looking at notes) approx 50% of the BU come from 5 - 0 and WP additions.. natural evolution of experimentation

:icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back