American IPA Recipe Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Just thought i would get some feed back on this AIPA recipe. I've never done a boil like this I've only played with kits and dry hopping

3kg x Amber Malt Extract
1kg x Amber Dry Malt

60 min Boil

30grams Simcoe @ 20min
30grams Galaxy @ 20min
30grams Simcoe @ 5min
30grams Galaxy Dry Hop

IBU 75.8
Alc 5.6%

Thought? Ideas?

Cheers Tim

You shouldn't need to do a 60 minute boil with extract and I don't see any hop additions at 60 minutes that would warrant it. You should be fine with a 20 minute boil.

Some might suggest its a bit heavy on the Galaxy. If that's what you like though, go for it.

I generally use a Coopers Lager can and add some spec grains for a fresher flavour.

Edit : spelling

How many litres? 4kg of malt seems a bit much for 21 or 23l.

A short boil like that will result in a fruity american pale ale, if you want to bump the bittering up a bit into IPA territory, boil for an hour and start with about 7g galaxy at 60min as the bittering hop, then continue with the additions above for flavour and aroma.

All up looks like it should turn out nice and easy drinking as it is, as long as the og isn't too high from all those malts. Unless of course you want high abv.

Cheers thanks for the feed back. I'm torn between heavily hopped APA or the AIPA... I might drop the dry malt though as mentioned.. And I think Im leaning towards the IAPA and possibly do the early galaxy addition and reduce the dry hopped amount... Any more feedback send it flying...

75 IBUs seems very high for a 5.6% beer. What info brought you to the conclusion of 75 IBUs? Id be shooting for something like 50ish for a beer of that strength.

I second the motion for reducing galaxy in the dry hopping. Maybe mix the galaxy dry hop with some citra, cascade or Amarillo is you have any, it'll create a more complex flavour/aroma.

If this is your first boil then I recommend not boiling all the malt in one go. I started on a 20L pot doing extract and found out pretty quickly that when you boil too much extract in not enough water 2 things happen: 1. you lose efficiency from your hops as the gravity is too high and 2. the beer comes out way darker than planned as it caramelizes. Try adding 1kg of malt to 16L water, do your hop additions then add the rest in the last moment before chilling.

Just what I learned from my experiences... Good luck.

danestead said:
75 IBUs seems very high for a 5.6% beer. What info brought you to the conclusion of 75 IBUs? Id be shooting for something like 50ish for a beer of that strength.
I'm on the iPad and not near my computer to check the numbers in BrewMate, but I'd have thought that hop schedule would come out closer to 50IBU.

*edit - forgot to mention that would put you in the ball park of Danestead's suggested IBU's.

Cheers for the help fellas... The IBU came out like that on the brew spread sheet... I'm pretty sure I plugged it in right... I'm a big fan of the mention alternative I'll have a look what the new local brewshop in daylesford is stocking and make my mind up from there...

Also what's the best way to chill post boil?

I was putting the pot in an ice bath for ages before I bought a wort chiller. I use the copper immersion chiller from iBrew.com.au, works a treat and plugs straight into the garden tap, reasonable price too. Immersion chillers don't work for everybody, some people use counter flow chillers etc but immersion works for me. I depends on your brew set up, I do lots of partials and extract brews because I'm time poor (and money poor).

I agree with you there twalky... I think I'll be trying the bath method... Hahaha.... I'll check out Ibrew.com.au though

I've got a big enough sink to fit a 20L pot, using a bag of ice from a servo worked fairly well. Most of the time I ran the cold tap and regularly changed out the water as it got warm, reusable ice bricks help.
OR... sometimes I would boil 2L of water, then freeze them and put them into the fermenter before pouring the wort in, that brought the temp down fairly well. I've left a wort for 24hs in a fermenter waiting for it to cool a little more, just make sure you do a good stir with a sanitised spoon and really got the O2 in there before pitching the yeast.

Buy a wort chiller and save yourself the hassle, its so much easier. Or check out threads on 'no chill' methods.

timryan said:
Just thought i would get some feed back on this AIPA recipe. I've never done a boil like this I've only played with kits and dry hopping

3kg x Amber Malt Extract
1kg x Amber Dry Malt

60 min Boil

30grams Simcoe @ 20min
30grams Galaxy @ 20min
30grams Simcoe @ 5min
30grams Galaxy Dry Hop

IBU 75.8
Alc 5.6%

Thought? Ideas?

Cheers Tim
Agree with others, I'd drop a kilo of malt. Also love Simcoe and Galaxy. My concern here would be that the Galaxy overpowers the Simcoe and you miss a lot of this lovely hop.

Using 3kg of malt and your hop bill I got an ibu of 52 and 4.8% at 23 litres.

If I was going to do this I would split the Galaxy up ie 10g @ 40m and 15g @ 20m puts an ibu at around 54.

Want a higher IBU ? Then take the Galaxy to 60 and or up the quantity.

As for dry hopping 30 grams of Galaxy might be a bit much. (although 30 grams of Simcoe I would be happy with :) )

Everyone's different and its fun to experiment, so let us know how it all comes out.

Cheers

Apart from all the stats that the computer spits out, I'm wondering a bit about the flavour profile of the final result. I think 4kg of Amber is big and would be thinking about 3kg and making one of the 3kg a pale malt extract. In the past, I've done a 1-2kg pale malt boil and added the hops - giving great extraction efficiency due to the relatively modest boil gravity - and then tossed in the remaining malt extract for a 30 min boil to finish off...

In theory the amber malt will give you the big gravity result but I would exercise caution in brewing exclusively with amber malt extract. Anyway, have a go and let us know how you got on.

Cheers,
TL

Thanks for all the feed back.. I'm going to drop the malt down to 3kg and break up the hop profile a tad.. Possible use galaxy earlier on and spilt it up a tad and the simcoe later on maybe even dry hop with rather than galaxy... As mention I might throw in a few 12grammers of citra and cascade on the dry hop... I'll jump on the spreadsheet and have a further play....

Jumping in on this thread I'm looking at the same thing - ideally like a SN Torpedo, punchy in strength, malt and hops.

At my disposal I have:
Coopers IPA can 1.7kgs
Blackrock light malt can 1.7kgs
LDM 1kg
2kgs coopers BE2
Various yeast US-05, bunch of kit yeasts
Cascade, Amarillo and Citra hop pellets

LHBS recommended going with just the two cans and doing a hop tea as its my 3rd brew. I'm thinking the two cans only won't hit the malt or alcohol levels according to IanH spreadie? Do I chuck in some LDM or a BE2 and should I do a small boil with that or will it be overkill with the ipa can so just stick to a hop tea and dry hop on the citra!?

Thanks for any tips, looking at the spreadie is one thing but I don't want to waste the ingredients and time on messing it up!!!

Tom

Gday All Ive touched up the recipe final opinions? Im open to all recommendations... Also with a 10L boil how miuch amber malt should i add?
Ingredients:
2 x1.5kg Amber Malt Extract​
600g Dextrose​
400g MaltDex​
57g Simcoe Hops Pellets​
42g Galaxy Hops Pellets​
12g Citra Hops Pellets​
US05 Yeast​

Boil:
- Bring 10L of water to boil.​
15g Galaxy hops @30min
15g Simcoe hops – @20min
15g Galaxy hops – @20min​
30g Simcoe hops – @5min
- Hop additions as per above.​
- Allow to cool than added to fermenter.​
Dry Hop:
12g Galaxy hops dry hop​
12g Simcoe dry hop​
12g Citra dry hop​
Cheers Tim

timryan said:
Gday All Ive touched up the recipe final opinions? Im open to all recommendations...
My suggestion would honestly be, brew it... brew it now and adjust it next time if there is something you don't quite like.

A quick look over this thread tells me this recipe has been in the making for two months...

he he

If your gunna brew, brew don't talk about it........ :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back