American IPA brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MB,
With this recipe what requires boiling?

Hi timryan

The hops need boiling- the longer boil the more buttering they impart- shorter times (<30mins ) adds flavor and then shorter again (<10mins) aroma. As a general rule. I boil 4 l of water with enough dry malt to have a gravity of 1040- some thought that this allows the best uptake of the hops goodness. I have actually just tried working on 10-11 L boils as there is also some thought that more water also assist the take up - however my opinion isn't confirmed with that yet.

Too steep the crystal, the grain, I used 1 L of water at 65-67C for the hour. Just add 700ml of hot tap water and then top up with boiling and cooled till you get the correct temp. You'll have to watch it carefully though- when it drops I heat up- I have a heavy based pot which maintains temp well

Oh if your getting away from kits, which is what I have done, download the kit extract recipe spreadsheet in the kit extract section- it's the top topic from memory. It will allow you to work out recipes such as this. The thread provides tons of info too

Latest posts

Back