American IPA brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point,IPA's over here are amber/orange to amber/copper in color. Amber orange being the predominant color.

Yeah I don't think I have the colour right for traditional American IPA - but dig the retro call by Yob.

Im very keen to get stuck into this..... Im glad Im away for a week after bottling next week!

i did say traditionally...

I like my IPA's with a bit of colour too, just saying that the colour does not define the quality and in fact were traditionally lighter than what we see today in general.

>THIS< book is a great read for historical value

Note: Link above is added through the Melbourne Brewers link, dunno if that makes a difference.

Ah so maybe I'm setting a new style of Adelaidian IPA.... :huh:

Doubt it. :p

Cheers for the link. Ive been thinking of getting that book but that was a great price!

Next version will be all amber extract

Had a Kooinda Black IPA the other day and I'm still lost for words

It was good, bad and indifferent all at once. I really didn't understand if i liked it or not??! Oddly enough i still think even though I'm confused i would have another....see my conundrum

However, I still prefer the American hopped 'golden / copper' IPA

So no Black IPA for me yet

Love a good Black IPA. I like the Kooinda.

Had a really good Black IPA @ GABS, can't for the life of me remember who brewed it though (wayyyy too many beers).

And the finished (well uncarbed) product straight from the feremter

Lots of hops flavour, definite citrus little pine, maybe grapefruit (which I know is citrus) but holds a nice bitterness through the mouth

Good malty flavour too, but no way near as intense as a SN Torpedo- might develop this with a little ageing I suppose.

So now I wait two (isn) weeks before they are carbed and ready!

edit- double post

IMG_5431.JPG

Good color. Mine usually come out that shade. Now if I could just afford to brew my Cougar Country IPA again. 8.3 ounces of hops,grains,etc gets expensive up here nowadays.

Good to hear it smells great going in to the bottle! looking forward to hearing how it mellows with a bit of time.

So that colour you have in the glass was from one Amber LME and one Light LME? and you think 2 Ambers would bring out the colour you were more aiming for?

No I think this is the colour I'm after- it must have developed further, or the gravity samples I had were just full of suspended yeast .

This is pretty much bang on for me in regards to colouration

Wow 235g of hops would set you back a bit. Even here it's costly .

I use 190g and that was a fair bit- another 45g is getting exciting!!

Yeah,IPA's are starting to get crazy up here. So much so that some are starting to go from the wild east coast style to the maltier west coast IPA's. I'm currently thinking of replacing the 1 lb of demerara sugar with another pound or so of malt in the mash to even things up a bit. At the moment,my fermenters are tied up with a saison & my first attempt at German dampfbier.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1403259998.526328.jpgrighto

Excuse the poor photo but cracked one of these tonight . It's got a nice solid bitterness, however it's controlled and not over powering . Lots of nice spicy, floral hop flavor though out, and the mouth feel is pretty good also.

Very impressed, and will be brewed again. Crazy the clarity of it- never had a brew so clear!

And a few weeks later and this is really good

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405309961.869709.jpgwill be made again to the same specs for sure

Hi Bizenya.
looks like the beer has turned out great. I did this same recipe a few weeks ago but unfortunately had to dump it from an infection. I was pretty devastated because it was smelling and tasting great (until it got infected).
How would you describe the flavour and aroma now after a few weeks in the bottle?
I was really interested in getting nice citra and resins flavour to come through without too much bitterness. Has this come close to any of those flavours?
Thanks again for keeping us up to date as well!

Yeah it's good- malty but not too much, bitter but nice and round. Big fan on magnum as buttering hop. Definite citrus character but not over powering.
I plan on doing this one again next- might try 1272 rather than 1056. I think the other factor was time- six days to ferment before dry hopping for seven and cold for five - longest beer I've ever had in a fermenter and I think it did make a difference !!

Bizenya said:
Hey mcalpine

I steeped the grain at 65-67 for one hour

Hop Boil 4 L with 400g of LDME. Added the remaining dry malt to the boil with 5 mins left, as well as the steeped grain solution

Then cooled down in cold sink w some pre-boiled frozen water added too.

Once cool (15C) took out and added to fermenter.

This then had the Liquid malts added, and then topped to 22L.
Might sound silly but I'm wanting to step away from the standard coopers kits and I've got a couple of questions to ask... When you talk about steeping grain for an hour at 65-67 what does this actually refer to? I see you boiling the hops which I get but what grains are you stepping if your using liquid malts? I thought liquid malts just got added like the kits... And when you refer to the 300g of crystal 60 what is this? Sorry it's been a while

Thanks Tim

Tim,
The process is similar to all grain brewing but on a smaller scale, and used to add that 'extra something' missing from your basic kit brews. So in essence you heat your water (say 5-10L) to a degree or two above desired temp, then add your grain. The simplest meathod for maintaining temp is to then place in the oven on it's minimum temp (note gas ovens may creep up a little), after the hour remove grain (if in a grain bag or strain into another pot) then bring the liquid to the boil. Hop additions are timed from the end of the boil so a 30min is at the begining of a 30 min boil but half way through a 60min boil, hope this helps some.

MB

Latest posts

Back