American IPA brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizenya

Reaction score
Hi all

Ok, I've done a IPA based more on the McEwan's style Imperial with the Coopers Kit and pimped. Its good. Bitter however not too much, and easy to drink- its pretty light at 4.9% so more of a Pale Ale (bitter one mind you)

So now I'm planning a AIPA. Ive been getting stuck into SN Torpedos, and Karl Strass Tower 10, and like them both. Probably the SN Torp the best- bit better in its balance to my taste.

So Im planning a brew.

Ive search the SN Torpedo recipe and its well documented, however I'm thinking of reducing some of the original hops and adding a small amount of Chinook to attempt to increase the piney flavour

So

1.5Kg Liquid Amber Malt
1.5kg Liquid Light Malt
1.0 kg LDME
300g Crystal 60

Hops
30 g Magnum for 50 mins
15g Magnum for 15 mins
25g Crystal for 10 mins
15g Magnum for 5 mins
15g Chinook for 5 mins

Dry Hop
20g Magnum
20g Crystal
20g Citra

Use 1056 yeast (expected 77% attent.)

OG of 1061
FG of 1014

IBU 64.7
ABV 6.6%
EBC 21.9
BU:GU 1.05

Add Chinook or is it just a needle in a haystack and going to be lost?

Righto! I'll take it under advisement - had to grab a 100g bag anyway so will see how I feel at the time

Got a fair stack of hops in the original plan already......

Chinook has a piney/resinous mouthfeel which acts as a counterpoint to the fruitiness of many other US hops. Good addition for apa/aipa.

Yob said:
You're going with magnum Late and dry?

Colour me interested
Yup- supposedly this is the torpedo way- I also thought this was odd
Should have a fair bit of magnum hoppiness I would think!

OK - all done

Pretty well exactly what is above, except the Crystal and Magnum both went in at 12 mins, as well as up Chinook to 20g.

Entire house (and probably some of the neighbours) smells of beautiful hops and malt.....

Hopefully gets cranking in next few hours, last wyeast I did pack was pretty crazy with its activation!

Yob - I have glanced at the schedule for the Torpedos and they do indeed include Magnum late and dry.
I'll be interested to hear how this goes.

From my experimentation this is the Torpedo way....but I must admit I have returned to old habits with more of an ballast point big eye approach.... Can't get past the late Columbus and centennial ....!!!!

Have been meaning to try torpedo approach and add Columbus to the mix...... Whoooaah ..... Like adding Pink Floyd to the Who.....remix baby.....

OB out....

Sounds like you'll be smashing out a Ballast Point Big Eye X Torpedo cross soon!

Im now leaning towards a chinook dry hop in the mix too.

So so hoppy. So so good.

Ive been switch hitting between a torpedo and a tower 10 to see if they work- but hey, i love hoppy IPA so i think its all good

Hey mate this recipe sounds great. I am only new here but have a few brews under my belt. Just a few questions as follows

What was your steeping process?

The hop boil volume? did you add the steeped gain water and all the Dry Malt to the pot pre hop boil?

Then what was the topped up total fermenting volume?

Cheers,

mcalpine91 said:
Hey mate this recipe sounds great. I am only new here but have a few brews under my belt. Just a few questions as follows

What was your steeping process?

The hop boil volume? did you add the steeped gain water and all the Dry Malt to the pot pre hop boil?

Then what was the topped up total fermenting volume?

Cheers,
Hey mcalpine

I steeped the grain at 65-67 for one hour

Hop Boil 4 L with 400g of LDME. Added the remaining dry malt to the boil with 5 mins left, as well as the steeped grain solution

Then cooled down in cold sink w some pre-boiled frozen water added too.

Once cool (15C) took out and added to fermenter.

This then had the Liquid malts added, and then topped to 22L.

Checked gravity, ended up at 1070- which was a surprise. IanH spreadsheet indicated 1061 but im thinking that I must have managed to get some sugars out of the grain by the steeping.

As such added 1056 X2. Which sucks cos its expensive. Did this from Mrmalty yeast pitch calculator. Learnt my lesson with this one. Will us US05 X2 next time due to the cost (20 dollars of yeast compared with 10). Am also playing with rinsing yeast, so I can re-use as well as making starters

Its flying! 1056 last night, tasted good. Bit like a torpedo, just very sweet! can taste a hint of the Chinook pineinous - will added some dry hop now too.

Oh and used Whirfloc for the first time as well

Thanks for the reply I'll have to get on to this recipe as soon as I have a bit of spare time. Keep us up to date with how it ends up too!

Cheers,

I actually changed the plan to this

1.5Kg Liquid Amber Malt
1.5kg Liquid Light Malt
1.0 kg LDME
300g Crystal 60

Hops
32 g Magnum for 50 mins
15g Magnum for 12 mins
25g Crystal for 12 mins
15g Magnum for 5 mins
20g Chinook for 5 mins

Whirlfloc 1/2 tablet added last five mins of boil.

Dry Hop
20g Magnum
20g Crystal
20g Citra
20g Chinook

Use 1056 yeast (expected 77% attent.) X2

OG of 1070
FG of 1014

IBU 66
ABV 7.3%
EBC 21.9
BU:GU 1.05

Just slight changed to the hop list and addition due to using some hop balls to reduce the trub. I only had three so had to only make three additions rather than four!

Torpedo is an Imperial IPA by our standards. A bit stronger than a regular IPA. Haven't gotten around to clones yet myself. Been experimenting with my own partial mash recipes for IPA's,pale ales & a couple others. I think the piney qualities would work well with it if not overpowering. Gotta get around to posting some of my recipes soon.

Have dry hopped today . Man tester was nice, colour is wrong, way too light, but it's a great golden colour

Interesting about it being an imperial IPA rather than American- this i assume is due to ABV rather than the late hop addition of American style hops?

Well,it is an American IPA. But the strength of it classifies it as an Imperial,or "double" IPA by BJCP standards that we loosely follow. Not to insinuate it's British or whatever. It just refers to the strength of it by way of the OG.

Bizenya said:
Have dry hopped today . Man tester was nice, colour is wrong, way too light, but it's a great golden colour

Interesting about it being an imperial IPA rather than American- this i assume is due to ABV rather than the late hop addition of American style hops?
I wouldnt worry about the colour, 'traditionally' made with a very light malt and were very light..

call it a retro IPA ^_^

Latest posts

Back