American Cream Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
I've always been intrigued as to what this beer really is. Has anyone tried it, brewed it or know of a beer in Aus which replicates it?

Last edited:
It's very similar to a Kolsch. There is nothing creamy about it at all. The style guidelines call it "a clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American “lawnmower” beer. Easily drinkable and refreshing, with more character than typical American lagers".

The word cream is not mentioned anywhere in the style guidelines.

I tend to brew a cream ale regularly, especially during the warmer months.

I use 80% ale malt and 20% corn with bittering to around 20-25 IBU using Northern Brewer.

I've used US05, Wyeast 2565 and Californian Lager yeasts but usually use the 05.

A simple beer but one you don't need to think about when drinking.

I've brewed quite a few in the past, you actually end up with something not unlike JS 150 lashes or Murrays Whale Ale but clear. As with cliffo I use polenta as the adjunct and just a simple hop addition such as Dr Rudi.
Cream ale was a local beer produced by smaller breweries for the industrial workers along the East Coast of the USA. It could be cranked out quickly without the need to lager for extended periods and I'd guess it hit the same spot as UK mild did in Britain, just the job to sink a few on the way home from work.

I think it was Yankinoz who said that nowadays they are usually just done as a quick and dirty lager commercially. The home brewed version is very drinkable.

As it happens I've just taken delivery of a couple of sachets of WL San Diego Superyeast and a cream ale is in the near future.

One of my favourite brews. After trying one at a swap I had a crack at it and I'm brewing it again this weekend. Here's what I said about it: "3:2:1 parts MO, wheat and polenta, tettanger for bittering only with M44. About 5%, finished at 1.008 by memory. Dicked around with a cereal mash with the polenta but seems to have paid off, there's a definite corn character in there"
I'm going to do it again with the polenta and sub the MO for JW ale, M44 for 1450, and bitter with Super Pride for an 'Aussie' cream ale. I reckon Pride would suit it very well.
If you can't have a beer without mountings of hops, bitterness, fruitiness, souring or ironic beard hair then you might not like it. Otherwise it's a very enjoyable beer that's different enough to be interesting but approachable enough to not turn off the swill crowd.

Where to get polenta/corn cheap? I love cereal in a beer, but woolies/coles polenta is $$/kg than actual barley.

Somewhere where I don't need to take a train (because parking is expensive) or drive a long distance.

Slightly OT, but used a cup of brown rice (unhulled) and balance of a kg of white rice, with Pale Malt in a Saison. Hit the spot perfectly.

Would love to use corn, not rice and finally knock out one of these.

Get thee unto Geeta Indian Groceries in the arcade behind Maccas in the Brunswick Street Mall. About 3 or 4 a kilo IIRC.

Honey cream ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 45.00 l
Boil Time: 90 min
IBU: 15.4

6000.00 g Golden Promise
1500.00 g Polenta
500.00 g Brown Rice
30.00 g Willamette [6.10 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 11.9 IBUs
25.00 g Willamette [6.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 3.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Saflager Lager ( #W-34/70)
1000.00 g Beechworth Honey (add at high krausen)

Fermented at 18c.

Had two kegs of it at my engagement, wasn't surprised to see them both empty within 2 hours.

Just make one.

Where to get polenta/corn cheap? I love cereal in a beer, but woolies/coles polenta is $$/kg than actual barley.

Somewhere where I don't need to take a train (because parking is expensive) or drive a long distance.

Slightly OT, but used a cup of brown rice (unhulled) and balance of a kg of white rice, with Pale Malt in a Saison. Hit the spot perfectly.

Would love to use corn, not rice and finally knock out one of these.

I thought polenta was available from supermarkets?

Yes it is but as LRG says it's twice the price of malt, usually coming in 450g bags for about four bucks.

Latest posts

Back