American Brown With Belgian Twist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just done a dubbel using 3522 so I thought I'd throw this on to it:

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 27.00 Wort Size (L): 27.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.35
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.84
Anticipated SRM: 18.9
Anticipated IBU: 96.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
71.9 6.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 3
7.2 0.60 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 178
6.0 0.50 kg. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
6.0 0.50 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
6.0 0.50 kg. Weyermann Pale Wheat Germany 1.038 2
3.0 0.25 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.30 43.4 90 min.
30.00 g. Chinook Pellet 13.00 37.4 45 min.
30.00 g. Chinook Pellet 13.00 11.1 15 min.
20.00 g. Chinook Pellet 13.00 4.6 5 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

should be fun!!

Certainly an interesting looking beer. Have you made an American Brown with that much caraaroma before? Good to see some experimentation and I would really like to know how this one turns out. :beerbang:

Hi there,

No never made a US Brown at all and never used caraaroma, I thought I'd try a lot of caramel and a lot of hops. I don't know if it's close to style I just chose that ini ProMash to get an idea of the colour. From what I've read the Americans are into this type of wierdness so I thought why not give it ago.

cheers

Patrick.

It doesn't sound close to any style. But that's what you're aiming for after all. :icon_cheers:

I'm not sure how it'll work but I would guess it'll be drinkable and possibly fantastic. As you say, having that much crystal should help balance out the hops. There certainly are some brewers doing this kind of thing (not only American ones) and I certainly think it's great to have a go with these out there beers. I recently did a dark saison. Didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped but it's certainly drinkable and improving with age. :icon_drunk:

It doesn't sound close to any style. But that's what you're aiming for after all. :icon_cheers:

I'm not sure how it'll work but I would guess it'll be drinkable and possibly fantastic. As you say, having that much crystal should help balance out the hops. There certainly are some brewers doing this kind of thing (not only American ones) and I certainly think it's great to have a go with these out there beers. I recently did a dark saison. Didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped but it's certainly drinkable and improving with age. :icon_drunk:

What's the details on the Saison? I known that some of these beers are an acquired taste even when coming from the 'authentic' sources.

Latest posts

Back